Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HELP!!! - Has anyone converted a 1996 car to widetrack?

Powderpuff

Ok, following on from my thread here about having ARB issues it would seem that I have bigger problems.

The combination of aero wishbones combined with 96 spec front suspension (damper and upper wishbone share a common mounting bolt) means the dampers foul the inside edge of the upper wishbone. I inverted them to get clearance (running with adjusted knob at the top of the damper) but Gary at Freestyle has said today they're not designed to run like this so to find another solution.

Before I buy another pair of standard design upper widetrack wishbones that I hope will give me clearance, can anyone tell me if they have done this?

The ultimate solution is a short front replacement with modern suspension pick-ups...but that's a bit drastic!

So, who's going to put their hand up and tell me about their 96 spec single bolt wide track set-up......anyone?

Ta

Gordon

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

Edited by - powder puff on 8 Jun 2009 20:11:09

Adrian, I've got rose jointed AVO's from Freestyle on the front. Gary and I discussed using a spacer plate to shorten the spring and move the bottom platform away from the damper but agreed it's not an ideal solution and would require having some custom spaces machined.

Pat, your suspension mountings should be different to mine, you should have separate bolts for mounting the top of the damper and the rear of the upper wishbone, so they're not comparable ☹️ Thanks anyway.

Wille, I've got brand new rose jointed dampers, don't really want to have to buy another set if I can avoid it.

N7XTC

OK so you already have narrow 1.9" springs which ruins my other thought ☹️

I guess it's back to non aero wishbones or a custom mod to the dampers as discussed with Gary. As you say not ideal but better than a new short front.

How about going inboard while you're on the phone to Gary. 😬 😬

Adrian

My 1994 front suspension (common upper damper/wishbone mounting) was converted to wide track with no problem other than requiring an extended upper damper eye.

Inboard pushrod suspension cannot be fitted to cars with this mode of front suspension; it would need a short front to convert to later suspension pick-up points.

I've had an offline e-mail from John who is running a converted 96 car with AVO's and standard style widetrack wishbones... they do fit but clearances are still tight.

Looks like that's the way to go for the moment, wrap the aerofoil wishbones up for a later day when the chassis is refurbed and new short front is fitted.

I'll find out for sure it works on my car at the weekend when I put new wishbones on....fingers crossed! (wonder if it'll fix my ARB fitment issue???)

Thanks for everyones thoughts.

Edited by - Powder Puff on 9 Jun 2009 12:41:54

• Leadership Team

I can probably describe Gordon's problem ..... it's the overall damper length related to the top spring-retainer diameter that is an issue. I fitted (non-aero) wide-track to my '95 car and no issues at all, but this was when using the original (short) Bilstein shocks with the wide-track extensions. Doing this means the shocker width at both ends is relatively narrow, shock body at the lower end, wide-track extender at the top.

My problems started when later I fitted replacement shocks taken from a new type chassis - the length of a post-'96 shock is the same as a pre-'96 shock with extender fitted. This means that when fitting the later (longer) shocks to the early chassis, because the extenders are not needed (overall length already the correct) the top spring platform is not far from the mounting eye - in fact too close to allow the clearance laterally to the upper wishbone "rear leg". Lost anyone yet???

I got round this problem with the Bilsteins by turning them upside-down which is not an issue, but not all shocks can be run this way. I honestly think the only choice is either find a shock that can be run USD, or use a shorter shock. Maybe the existing shocks will be ok with an extender, but that depends upon the rated open closed length and whether it will be ok, but there should be enough adjustment at the bottom end to use the same springs.

Stu.

Stu,

You're description is spot on, however as John who e-mailed me is running AVO dampers as well (so his should be the right way up - damper body / adjuster at the bottom), I'm keeping my fingers crossed they fit.

I know Bilsteins will go on because as you say you can invert them, this is fall back position number 2!

N7XTC

Gordon a few pics of my suspension on some of my picasa albums, csr wings and airbox albums probably best, you will probably have to use the zoom feature. 1992 chassis with avo shocks and widetrack. very little clearance but enough for it not to be a problem. here

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Standard widetrack upper wishbones on now...and it all seems to fit together ok, including the ARB. *smile*

So it looks like the problems have been caused by the aerofoil wishbones...ho hum, will just have to wait until I short front the car to use them.