Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterfield Challenge

u01rsb

Morning All,

I realise there is regular banter about which car is faster; the Caterham 7 or the West*****. At the last meeting of the year in October I believe both clubs are at Angelsey for the last sprint of the year.

Would it be of interest to hold a challenge to see who can set the fastest time in an unlimited class?

Just wondering, it could settle a few arguments......

All the best,

Rob

Well I often visit the darkside (the WSCC site) to see what they are up to (they are actually quite a helpful bunch), and they seem to be under the impression that they are much faster than the Caterhams. Would be good to clear that matter up.... *tongue*

Rob,

They piped up about that ahead of the MIRA round, but that all went a bit quiet after the event *tongue*

What with their fastest none road legal SBD factory 2ltr 304 bhp Duratec'd sequential boxed car being beaten by a part time driver in a weedy little 1396cc road legal (with number plates & headlights) Hayabusa engined Caterham at what is a power track *smokin* *smile*

To be fair though it was bloody quick *rolleyes*, but lets see what its like on the hillclimbs think it would well & truly have its 🙆🏻 spanked 😬

They piped up about that ahead of the MIRA round, but that all went a bit quiet after the event

That SDB 2.0l Duratec is a pretty highly developed car . . IIRC it's run 9 second quarters, it weights nothing, and has trick suspension (for a Westfield).

If nobody took the p1ss out of it getting beaten by a road-going Cateringvan with c.100bhp less power and probably more weight, it was a missed opportunity of gargantuan proportions *nono*

*wink*

What with their fastest none road legal SBD factory 2ltr 304 bhp Duratec'd sequential boxed car being beaten by a part time driver in a weedy little 1396cc road legal (with number plates & headlights) Hayabusa engined Caterham at what is a power track

Matt Hillam isn't exactly a 'full time' professional driver either *rolleyes* and this is his first year in that car so he's still finding his feet as it were, mind you, it helps that he only weighs about 4 stone ringing wet... *wink*

If nobody took the p1ss out of it getting beaten by a road-going Cateringvan with c.100bhp less power and probably more weight, it was a missed opportunity of gargantuan proportions

They'd all disapeared by the time Darren came back to the pits, so we didn't get the chance *tongue*

In the road legal classes they have a different set of rules to us and just split into 2 classes, below 1800cc and above 1800cc although I think some of them were on 1a's which is hardly a fair comparison.

The winning car in the under 1800cc class was a RAW Striker 😬 😬 *thumbup*, it had over 200 bhp and ran on ACB 10's but was about half a second slower than our class 4 winner with 189.9 bhp. The fastest Westfield in that class was 4 seconds slower. *eek* *eek*

The over 1800cc road legal class produced a winning time of 50.28 which would have been good enough for 6th place in our class 5 and 1.5 seconds off the pace.

Having said that they are a friendly bunch and there were a fair number of very quick cars in the non road going class.

No wonder it's gone a little bit quiet

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

To add a bit more fuel to the debate - last Sunday we went to the Notts Sports Car Club sprint at Curborough - amongst the various cars present there were 5 Westfields but only our Caterham - we managed to post better times than 4 of the Westfields *thumbup*. Also managed to beat a Radical and 3 Sylva/Raw Strykers 😬 😬 😬

Our car is now in many pieces as we search for the illusive 4th gear, having competed in the majority of events this year with only 5 of our 6 gears we hope to be back on full song for the next event.

Enjoy the weather *wavey*

C&L

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after 3 sisters I can now confirm that I've still not been beaten by a Westfield all season (in fact the last 11 events). I'm looking forward to the event at Anglesey in October when the WSCC club is at the same event as Longton to see if the can muster any serious competition 😬.

Think they might be a lost cause really.... 😬 😬