Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle bodies for 2.0xe

keogh

Hi there,im looking of ditching my 45s for a set of throttle bodies as i have been told it "smooths things out".I would prefer it to include all the bits i need for installation but its not essential.Please post reply or call Darren on 07900408096.Thanks. *wink*

Red top inside

Its a lot easier if you use an injection tank, submerged pump and filter from CC and a bit cheaper as well. You might find a second hand inj tank if you advertise as they do come up from time to time. You may also need a new flush-mount fuel filler which is a pain to fit (and make work so you can fill the tank, see other posts on this topic!)

Apart from the throttle bodies/rampipes/air filter you'll also need an ECU, wiring loom, wasted spark coil pack with bracket (you may already have those), injectors, fuel rail, throttle pot, air and water temp sensors, lambda sensor or at least the boss welded into the exhaust for mapping, and new fuel flow and return pipes from tank to engine and back, and pressure regulator. You'll also need to modify the throttle linkage, blank off the hole in the end of the exhaust camshaft where the distributor used to be and fit a special blanking plug into the dizzy hole on the back of the head/cam cover.

Not hard to do and well worth the effort.

As a lower cost interim alternative, have you considered going for so-called 3D mapped ignition? This still involves some of the above but you keep the carbs. The ignition timing is controlled by an ECU (which you can still use later if you decide to go the whole hog and add injection) and a throttle pot fitted to the throttle spindle on the carbs, plus wasted spark coil and wiring loom. It performs much the same function as vacuum ignition advance and makes the car much more drivable and responsive. It also significantly improves fuel economy on cruise. SBD do a kit using an MBE ECU, or at least will put a kit together for you and supply a usable ignition map. If you later want to go for fuel injection, about the only thing you would need to change is the loom, apart of course from adding the extra bits.

Paul

and a bit cheaper as well.
I don't think so Paul, the tank, pumps, filler and neck from CC come to £450 *eek*.

I have just fitted a swirl pot (a lot less hassle than changing the tank IMO) and the pot, banjo/fittings for fuel return to tank, low pressure and high pressure pumps only cost £190 *smile*

Sorry for the hijack *wavey*.

Guy

Now with MORE bhp HERE

Oooh! you're right in that case, although didn't you have to remove the tank to weld in a return pipe? Maybe you made a mechanical coupling rather than a weld. The CC bits have obviously gone up a lot in price since I last did it a few years ago.

I've got a swirl pot/two pump system in mine too and it hasn't given me any trouble in more than ten years of use.

End of hijack 😬 (maybe)