Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oulton Park - questions from a novice!

phill brigstock

*confused*HI

I've just got my 1995 Supersport 1400 K series on the road (bought in January). Its an ex race car with the 6 speed box & the Sierra 3.92 LSD. It accelerates well & revs freely but is pulling 4600rpm at 70mph & 5800 at 90mph so as I'm going to use it almost always on the road I'm looking at changing the crown wheel & pinion for a 3.64 ratio (70mph will be around 4250rpm then).

I haven't done a track day in 25 years & I'm a bit apprehensive as I'm booked in for Oulton & everything I read warns of a fast circuit with little run off. So I'll get lots of instruction & help first.

My question is does anyone know the sort of speeds I'm likely to find at Oulton & if I change the diff ratio after Oulton am I in danger of over revving the car as its so low geared (sorry - should that be high geared?)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Phill Brigstock

I suspect you'll not hit the limiter in 6th at Oulton in a standard supersport 1400. I'm geared the same as you are and running 180bhp and I don't quite get there.

How much corner speed you carry into the straights will be a big factor, as will be whether you run a screen or aero.

I'd be tempted to do Oulton in your current configuration and see how you get on and then decide if you want to change the dif ratio. I've been considering this for a while, but for the amount of time I'm at high RPM on circuit I'd rather have the benefit of the lower gearing (for instance my car will out accelerate a duratec R400 geared 3.6 out of the corners and I'm quite a few bhp down).

Albert

Thanks for that Albert - really useful.

Out of interest what revs is the limiter set at & what revs do you pull without fear of stressing the engine? My rev counter is marked to 8000 but without any warning marks.

For road use the 3.64 diff would just be more comfortable but following your advice I may wait until after Oulton.

Thanks

Phill

I think a supersport was something like 7600, I'm sure if you search techtalk it'll be there somewhere.

As for how many revs you pull without fear of stressing the engine, depends on your level of mechanical sympathy *tongue* On the road I rarely get all the shift lights on before I change up, on circuit I wait for the last one but I dislike bouncing into the limiter if I can avoid it.

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

All tracks are as fast and as safe as you make them

The run-off is not an issue if:-

i) you drive within your ability

ii) you drive within the cars ability

Start slow and build the speed during the day and as you have stated take the free instruction

A10ROX now garaged with D10ROX (Red GT3)!

My datalogger shows a fraction under 105 mph in a race on the Island circuit with a standard 1600 engine. Probably around the same power (125-ish). The full circuit is unlikely to be any quicker, even if you do manage to hold it flat through Island Bend (which is unlikely).

-----Roger Ford Racing - demolishing tyre walls for 15 years and counting.