Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BEC - live axle rear disc conversion

Howard R

On the *cool* James Whiting live axle rear disc conversion does anyone have the problem of the 2no. allen bolts either side of the driveshaft nut coming loose 🤔

If so is there a solution to prevent this happening 🤔

Green Fireblade Pilot *smokin*

If your talking about the 2 small grub screws that take up the space between the hub and the bearing, mine were always working loose I could tighten them, go out on track for 20 mins, come in and they had worked loose and there was play in the halfshaft again, when I changed my crown wheel and pinion over the winter, I used a small amount of low strength thread lock, and so far it seems to be holding.

However what I will do in the future if I have to pull the axle apart for any reason is have the gap between the hub and wheel bearing measured and have a couple of shim's made up so that when the half shaft nut is tightened the wheel bearing and hub are in contact all the time.

'Pinky Pics' here

The wheel centre caps. Best to use a 'screwdriver' Allen Key like the one I used to have Steve *eek*

Mine came undone too, or so it seemed, all that's really happening is your pulling the shaft out a bit each time you tighten them up. you could improve this by machining up some nice interference fit collars and press them on the shafts behind the bearings. Some shafts had tack welds as well (mine did) but they had come 'un tacked' Not ideal really.

I was so impressed with all this on my Blade I fitted a Ford Axle.

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

Edited by - STEVE GILBERT on 3 Jun 2009 08:15:54

Im sure I gave you that allen screw driver back Steve *redface*

Howard if you want shims made up you would have to remove the brake caliper, undo the 4 bolts that hold the ali plate onto the axle that retaines the wheel bearing, extract the hub/halfshaft/bearing as one unit ( draining the axle of oil first!) then take it some where and have the gap between the hub and bearing measured, have a shim made, undo the half shaft nut, use a press to split the hub and half shaft, if you have got this far you might as well change the wheel bearing for a new one, after new bearing fitted, pop new shim on the halfshaft, check condition of the key in the keyway on the half shaft ( there usually in a poor condition ) so may need a new key, refit hub tighten half shaft nut to around 110ft/lbs, change oil seal in axle, slide half shaft back in, re fit ali bearing retaining plate, refit cailper... not a 5 min job.

'Pinky Pics' here