Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen covered in petrol !

Andy Green

Went for a blat in my new R400 SV.

Started wonder why I had water on my screen, then wondered about petrol smell then wondered about about liquid coming through louvres in the bonnet.

So decided to stop overtaking the convoy of cars and stopped asap.

Started to wonder how long before I would be making a claim on the insurance for fire damage.

Inspection showed the black plastic connector at the end of the fuel line from the tank had come off from the fuel rail. I remember pushing that on very well and reading in the manual that you needed a special tool to get it off again. I remeber thinking yes that is not going to come off.

Glad I went for the windscreen option. If it had come off earlier in the day my daugther would have got a face full of petrol.

Connector now pushed back on and seems as secure as ever.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've had the fuel return line come off the nylon pipe back to the tank - the clue was the petrol guage dropping 1/4 tank in the 3 miles down the road, and the sudden desire for oversteer at 30mph on a wet road . . . when I stopped, the road around me turned pretty colours . . .

Pushed it further on and added a second clip.

Bri

Andy, I had a similar but more spectacular occurance last night in my 1700Xflow. I was in traffic doing about 70 when the screen got wet, I looked down the bonnet to see what I thought was water pouring from the carb hole, then woosh the thing caught fire! I switched off immediately, cruised to a halt, and surprisingly calmly (for me!)got out and applied the dry powder extinguisher I carry. Fortunately the damage is slight, bonnet scorched but little else. The cause was the hollow fuel feed bolts on BOTH webers were less than finger tight! I simply tightened them up and carried on my way.

The carbs were serviced some 700 miles ago, so if the engine chappie had not tightened up the offending bolts at the time surely they would have come loose before now? Or is thie sort of thing yet something else I need to add to my daily check list?

I went to Santa Pod and my world changed forever.

Virden

If the fuel banjo bolts on DCOEs are correctly tightened they will stay in place indefinitely. Should not require service rechecking as they shouldn't work loose.

I have no idea what torque might be applied but I have always done them up "firmly" with a standard length combination spanner (about 6.5" long). Fibre washers take up quite a bit of compression and then the bolts feel tight.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬