Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Mileage

RoyH

What are the thoughts on this from a mileage viewpoint?

Very high miles for an R500, although I understand that the vast majority of these miles have been on the road.

Car looks in very good condition, with a recent Minister refresh.

Is it worth considering, or am I laying myself open to large maintenance bills?

If i buy and come to sell with over 30k mileage, I would guess it's going to be difficult to shift.

Hi Roy, my humble opinion is...

This looks like a good example of an early R500. The mileage shouldn't be an issue because all the maintenance provides reassurance that the car has been looked after, after all it's only done about 3K miles per year and has had a recent engine and gearbox refresh. It has a lot of road going options, it was obviously not bought as an R500 race car!

If I was looking for a high performance Seven I would look at this one and hopefully you be able to take it for a test drive (or test ride). It could be worth seeing if somebody with a lot of Seven experience could come with you to take a look *wink*

I am Leg End...

Very encouraging opinions so far.

Will be seeing the car with Markiebabes and John, (our resident Penn 7 mechanical guru) so knowledge will be available...

It does look in nice condition.

Any other thoughts. musings, points to check for?

Edited to add: Jackson, if I bring this thing to the 7 Wonders trip I'm going to blow your Duratec into the weeds *tongue*

Edited by - RoyH on 29 May 2009 08:43:37

Regin,

I've spoken to the seller, and am sure he's genuine.

He's not an L7C member; it would have been handy if he was because the car's history would probably have been better known (he's the third owner, dont know who the other two were).

The other R500s on PH have much lower mileages and are a similar (slightly higher) price, but no evident refresh.

The rebuild and subsequent refresh on this car has been carried out by Minister, so you're not going to get any better.

Whenever I buy anything of largish value I tend to consider resale in the equation. If I'm re-selling an R500 with 30k odd miles it may be difficlut to sell on....

If I'm re-selling an R500 with 30k odd miles it may be difficlut to sell on....

- which kind of poses the question, what the hell is the point in these cars if they're not supposed to be driven? (and driven in the manner intended) - I guess you could use it to drive to the monthly meeting to show everyone how nice and shiny it is er but only for 3 or 4 times a year so it doesn't get wet and the mileage remains really low but what pleasure is there in that (unless you're a polisher of course...)

I don't see why there is sticking point at 30k miles, these engines need a refresh every few miles anyway and it's already 8 years old so anything less than 20k miles even for an R500 is just a complete waste - all IMO obviously *tongue*

PS: not a personal attack RoyH by the way, I just don't see the point in having a fast car and never using it *rolleyes*

Hi Peter *wavey*

No offence taken.

I would use the car as and when I wanted, ie blats, trackdays, raiding parties on the Taffia, trips to IOM etc.

What I am posting here (of course) is my thought process, and, at eventual time of resale, I'm weighing up the perception of potential buyers to a "high" mileage R500 with a good maintenance history.

Hi Roy

Looks good and i agree being a Duratec owner as to a conversion at a later date *wink*

Away sprinting at Barkston on saturday but will try and catch up with you asap re T shirts etc *thumbup*

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl Van Baars *thumbup*

• Area Representative

An updated ad on Pistonheads, lots of 😬 going round.... Roy, I think you have sorted out a nice little seven for the summer *wink* It looks a corker!

Have fun.

Nick

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...