Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a Geodesy unit in a Caterham

Tony Martyr

Dave, did you use a remote light on the dash?

If so what are the connections and signals output from the unit?

I'm thinking of getting one but want to know if I can conceal it and design an external circuit to drive a dash light and possibly 'buzzer'.

Don't want to open up unit just use any external connections it may have.

Ian - MI 5EVN

any chance of a description of how you located it? Even a brief idea would provide inspiration. (And save you sending out pics on request except when I get desperate...)

Likewise my Geodesy works fine in the Rangie, notice that overhanging trees cause loss of signal. No surprise, but something to be aware of.

Anthony

E536 JFH - Cosworth 1700 BDR - mobile 07970 719644

Yes, I'd like to pick your brains on this one Dave, no point in reinventing the wheel.

Would be easire for you if you couldpost photos somewhere,ratherthan having to email them to lots of people. (allen@jamesboyd.freeserve.co.uk)

Thanks

Thanks Dave. I may go your way but I am considering a more radical option.

I can make a tube clamp bracket supporting an alloy plate so that unit sits on the FIA diagonal close to my left ear and is visible in the mirror. In a mock up it was easier to see via peripheral vision and hear than when on the dash well to the left.

I will post details upon completion. I have to sort out my packing list for le Sept now and since Geodesy won't save me in France I'd better clean the screen

I mounted my Geodesy on the "Dash".

I fabricated an "L" shaped bracket which was stuck to the bottom of the power clip. Using the sticky pads provided I then simply stuck the bracket to the base of the windscreen surround and the edge of the dash. The wire went through an existing hole in the dash.

This has worked well for the last two years including removing it to replace the windscreen and re fitting it.

Ian,

I didn't use an additional light but I did ask Morpheous to adjust the brightness and volume to max on my first download which is more than enough to attract my attention even in my loud XFlow ! thumbsup.gif

I've posted a couple of pictures on the South West Area web site. Just follow the link and look in "Picture Gallery"

South West Area web site

Dave.

Edited by - Dave G on 13 Jul 2002 18:27:37

Think I'll try something similar but using glue to attach two press studs to the bracket. Can then use the tonneau fastners to stick it down semi-permanently.

Have to say I was very surprised and disappointed that I couldn't even get it working sat on the passenger seat. Does the re-radiating antenna help matters? And if it doesn't work sat on the seat of a car with no roof, why does it work work in a tin top?!

Mounted mine in the motorcycle clip under the dash on the left, alongside the cables coming up to the dash - used velco to hold holder.

Sat the remote antenna in the boot, using its magnets to hold it to the rear of the bulkhead - works fine.

Just got to find a proper switched power supply for it now as my first choice of the brake fluid level test switch didn't work.

Works find on the steering column in the Lancia - low enough to avoid reflections in the screen at night but still gets a signal.

Although as i went out to test it by a known camera (you all have, admit it - you wanted to see what happens!), it went off line as I got near ans stay off for over and hour. Been okay for 2 days since though.

Bri

Tony, You could use some industrial velcro, you can get that almost anywhere now then you can swap it around the cars. It's what holds the wings on the fireblade Roger drove at the sprint!

Don't forget they're illegal in France if you're thinking of bringing it on Le Sept. They get confiscated and you get a hefty fine!

Tony Martyr had the same idea with mirrors and someone else has highlghted asking morpheus to turn up the volume and brightness... I am thinking of a small flat thin mirror fixed along upper windscreen surround which is as close to my line of sight as possible to get. Anthony

E536 JFH - Cosworth 1700 BDR - mobile 07970 719644