Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swapping tyres front to rear

LazerBrain

Fronts are A048s, 3mm of tread, medium compound, 4.5 years old, prob 12kmiles, slightly blued on the shoulders.

Rears are A048s, 2mm of tread, medium compound, 1 year old, ~3k miles

The fronts certainly don't feel as sticky to the touch as the rears. I think I've only used them on one Dunsfold day and on the road - every other time on track has been on a complete set of spare wheels/tyres.

I'm off to Le Mans soon and fear that the rears won't be legal on the way home. I don't know whether I should put a new pair on the front and swap the fronts to the rear, or just replace the rears.

Advice and opinions please.

cheers,

Darren.

I think I'd go even further and replace all of them.

If you are caught in heavy rain, at a decent speed, with only marginal thread on the fronts SAILING will be too interesting.

(Now for me swapping front and rears isn't an option as they have different dimensions)

What is the lifespan of an A048? Actually, what's the lifespan generally for tyres? I know they go hard and should be replaced.

I'm surprised that my fronts are that old - I can't find any receipts for tyres that would match the fronts, as I've replaced the rears roughly once a year (they seem to last about 3000 miles before getting too close to the markers.)

cheers,

Darren.

Depends a lot on the original compound. When I used to race bikes we wouldn't use tyres that weren't "this year's" except for the gentless of testing sessions.

I shouldn't image A048s are quite that sensitive, but I'm sure they'll be well past their best after nearly five years.

-----You can no more win a war that you can win an earthquake - Jeanette Rankin

IIRC there is now a regulation for the MOT that requires that tyres must not be over 6 or 7 years old so all tyres now carry a month/year of manufacture on them *wink*

PS: I definitely replace the lot 😶‍🌫️ *thumbup*

Brian, how on earth have you managed to get AO48's to last 12,000 miles, even front ones? *eek*

Best I could do for the fronts on my last 7 was about 4500 and 2000 or so for the rears, if I was lucky. 😔

Just to help you out, I'll volunteer to do a few doughnuts in your car tomorrow night at the Hatchgate and get your tyres to a sensible wear level for a self respecting 7 owner. *wink*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Lotus Elise Probably the best hair dryer in the world! 😬

I do actually have a trackday tyre set - some ancient A021s from Jason Brown that are on some very tatty wheels! The old A048s will be replacing the A021s and I will give the wheels a bit of a tidy up too.

I'm grateful to all the support from the ReHaBers. *wavey* Brent, will you be bringing a jack so we can swap fronts and rears round to even out the wear? 😬

I'll probably find the receipt for the fronts soon and find out they've only been on the car 2 weeks... *tongue*

cheers,

Darren.

I'd have thought not. The camber on the rear will be quite different to that on the front and thwe tyres will be well worn in to that angle. Knowing what the weathier can do at Le Mans I'd replace all of the tyres just for the tread depth. It's pretty miserable when it rains all day on the way down (some people reading this may recall that trip)!