Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Modified front lower wishbone mount

Sam Monoogian

When I had my chassis rebuilt at Arch I got them to modify the front mount of the lower front wishbone from the spindle jobby to a bolt hole in the vertical chassis tube. With the spindle mount two 1/2 rubber bushes are used (the same type as for the anti-roll bar for classic suspension). Should a single metal-rubber-metal type bush be used instead if I'm bolting it through? The front endpiece is of a different size to the rear so I can't just use the same type of bush as used for the rear endpiece (at the inboard end).

The wishbone currently won't fit with the 1/2 bushes as the bit of bush that protrudes prevents it. So even if I kept the wishbone and bushes I'd have to lop a bit off the end.

Has anyone else had this mod done to their car? If so what did you do? Change bush, mod bushes or change wishbone and bush?

I have done the same chassis mods in the past. The later bolt (as opposed to stud) fixing is really meant for the later (rose swivel joint) lower wishbones, which have a single rubber to metal bonded bush, this wont fit your wishbone.

You can however fit the later wishbones to the earlier stud fixing.

I think that your wishbones use the Y16 bushes, perhaps the Y9 as fitted to the rear A frame may fit easier, a more likely explanation is that your bushes will fit but only after a massive struggle.

Redline components will almost certainly know the answer and can sell you the relevant bushes