Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauhall 2.0 16v option - Advice sought!

Michael Jackman

WELL!

I DID STIMULATE SOME DEBATE ON THE VAUXHALL ENGINE DIDN'T I?

I ONLY ASKED FOR VIEWS ON THE ENGINE AND IF THERE WAS A PREFERED VERSION OF IT. I DIDN'T WANT TO GET TANGLED IN PERSONAL VIEWS ON THE PRO'S AND CON'S OF VX vs K!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES ANYWAY. AND THANK YOU ALEX FOR YOUR VIEWS.

REGARDS TO ALL,

MICHAEL

THRUXTON>>>

I built a Vauxhall in 1997. The engine is a peach, whist the K-Series is more willing to rev, the Vauxhall simply doesn't need to! There is so much low down torque that you can either drive arond in fifth all day or play with the gears. To be honnest if any 1.6K > 2.0vx owner drove on the limit on the public hghway then they would be in hospital.

I would anticipate 100,000+ miles form the standard Vx, however, with the K-Series reving as hard as it does (especially in 6-Speed mode), i would anticipate a shorter life. Having said this if you look at the Tin Top versions then both variants manage 100,000+ lifes. I have a friend who builds Ford race engines and he comments that he likes the Vauxhall for its strength and Cosworth head, sadly his opinion of the K-Series is that its crap! with very unstable cylinder head and poorly designed construction.

Having driven quite a few K-Series cars I would (should you choose this route) select a 1.6, as the 1.8 is under square and fails to get going, sadly Caterham andvertise the VVC version as the replacement for the Vx, this it will never be.

Finally avoid a standard fuel injected Vx as they are crap! If you want inection to save fuel then go thottle bodies. Having said this the cost of conversion would keep mister aveage in petrol for years!

I THINK there are 2 types of 2.0Vx 16v XE engine. At least, there are 2 types of head gasket. One for the "old version and one for the "new" version. I have no idea what the difference is though, although mine is an old version.

Apparently you can tell from the head bolts. If they're actual bolts, it's the old one and if they're sockets, it's the new one (according to QED)

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Here's my (biased) opinion.

A K Series is a good engine for a Seven, but it is not rigid, so it will wear prematurely when highly tuned. This is why after 10 hard track days the R500 engine will need a rebuild. Engine rebuilds do not come cheap.

The Vaux is made of Iron and does not use the sandwich construction and wet liner set up of the K. The rigidity attained through the more rigid material, the shorter stressed length of the bolts holding it together, and the bigger cross section obtained through dry lined bores means the VX engine can sustain longer periods at higher RPM.

My engine has taken 10,000 miles of thrashing with no problem, and lathough it is getting a little smokey when it idles really hot, Mobil 1 Motorsort 15/50 would probably cure that.

The Vauxhall may not rev as sweetly out of the box, but it is good for 8250rpm on standard crank and rods or even 8500 as it was fitted to the JPE - no steel bits, just cossie big end bolts. I thionk this may be more than the K can manage - also in tuned form they can take well over 10,000 rpm on a decent steel internal set. Mine is only limited to 9000rpm as the cams are finished by then....

Best engine for a Seven has to be the Omega 3.0 V6

Why??

1. It fits (according to leaked info from the C21 dev team)

2. It sits a long way back so promotes (belive it or not) less understeer than the VX 16V

3. Swindon do one with 420Bhp.

Now guess what's on my shopping list?????

Arnie