Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauhall 2.0 16v option - Advice sought!

Michael Jackman

I hope to build another Caterham Seven in the next year or so, and I am keen to use the Vauxhall 2.0 16v engine that Caterham Cars once offered as an option. I would like to hear other peoples views on this engine option and also weather or not there is a 'prefered' version of the engine.

Thanks,

Michael

I would consider all options, I personaly don't like the 2000cc VX. Reason, I prefer the origional idea that the caterham is to be light as possible with a small engine, this points me towards the K series, but also the newer bike lumps such as the blade or busa. You will have to decide what is the best engine for your application.

Simon.

X777CAT

Don't listen to the sheep. You are not a number, you are a free man!

I'm biased I know. I love the Vx engine. I see it as the best Cosworth designed engine for the seven although I love BD's as well. Never tried one though (a BD that is). It's just that BD cam cover that gets me.

The Vx engine is heavy and it is not as revvy as it's Rover sibling. What it does have in it's favour is durability, seemingly endless upgrade options up to 280BHP (and then you can turbocharge or supercharge it if you are so inclined), good backup in the form of QED and SBD, and torque. I don't want to cover too much old ground here (see Vx vs K-series) but you can pick up a decent 2nd hand Vx engine for about 600GBP. Have a look at QED's website for the fully built uprated versions they sell (can't remember the URL but it's on my website - http://alexwong.net) Alternatively, you can get a second hand engine and a Q450 kit from QED and build yourself a 230BHP engine for about 3000GBP. (I wouldn't advise this unless you've had some experience in engine building before though!) Mine is a Q420 engine but I wish I'd gone for the Q450 now and will probably make the cam changes when I can.

The honest truth is this. The K-series cars are brilliant. They are more revvy and more agile making them more responsive and less prone to understeer. They're also more economical and just as reliable. It's also pretty difficult to sell a Vx car as everybody wants K cars.

They just lack character to me but that's not everyone else's priority! I love the "slingshot out of the corner" feel that only the Vx engine can give from low revs right up to 7800rpm in my case. I'm extremely sentimental about my car and would never dream of robbing it of it's soul by putting a K-series engine in it. I also think K cars are harder to drive fast but I think we've covered this on another thread..... This is a personal and minority opinion. But 7 owners are all slightly eccentric aren't they?

Keith, which have you replaced more frequently? Your 7's or your slippers? I know you wouldn't get all slushy about your 7 the way I do about mine, but then again, mine went quicker than yours! tongue.gif

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 7 Sep 2000 00:10:52

Michael,

I have stayed out of the Vx-v-K thread in this forum as simply everything I wanted to say had been expressed so eloquently by Alex, before I could reach the keypad!

The Vx XE engine is simply a wonderful piece of kit and certainly provides the 7 with a more than adequate source of POWER and TORQUE.

Yes, it is a different beast to the K engined car and handles differently but that is no bad thing. Go back a few years and read up on road tests of the old Vx race series cars to see how highly they were rated.

The feeling of solidity and grunt is simply awesome and as can be sensed from Alex's comments, they are ADDICTIVE!

Don't waiver, just get it built, and join the MUSCLE 7 CLUB.

Andrew.

I think we're all going down the wrong track with all this K vs Vx nonsense. I think we should be testing Sparco race boots vs Keith's slippers.

Are they FIA approved, Keith?

This could be the trick MS and Ferrari need to catch Mr H.

Does anyone else have this fetish, or is our secretary in a minority of one?

I can't see anything wrong with my slippers - I think they are a great style statement. The problem is the rest of the world's views....

I thought your comments surprisingly balanced this time Alex. Except that my car beat yours (when Gordon was driving) despite my car having an extra 50kilos of (very stylish!!) ballast.

I don't know what it is about Team Members but That ex Team stalwart and Curborough Sprint commentator Neil Backwith insists on wearing the left shoe of a red pair of trainers and the right shoe of a yellow pair ( he also has a spare pair !)

Lols (tank taped) race boots can also play the piano in the bar at Potiers on their own (a neat trick and very funny after a bevy or two )

My shoes ... whatever are nearest the door !

SBD have got a summer sale on, another good reason for Vx engines!

At the end of the day, what is important to us all, squabbling apart, is that whatever engine we settle upon, we all still have the best car on four wheels!

And some of us have good taste in footwear! Me? Vx powered Momo race boots!

Andrew.

> The Vx engine is heavy and it is not as revvy as it's Rover sibling.

'Quite heavy'. Not as more heavy as a passenger. And if you're dedicated there's the alloy block option from QED. If you add up the weight of a windscreen/wipers/carpets/soft seats/heater/spare tyre (both sorts)/cast iron 5 speed gearbox casings I think you quickly get into the same order as the nominal Vx/K difference.

The big problem is that the K is current, the classic Vx isn't.

As for 'revvy'ness it all depends.... I find the standard 1.8K to be very lethargic, a 1.6K SS to be quite revvy and a tuned 1.6K to be very revvy. But a monster raving looney Vauxhall will be even revvier.

And there's no substitute for cubic centimetres. Or something.

But given that healthy members of society don't drive even a 1.6K hard on the road.....

Paul

Edited by - Paul Ranson on 7 Sep 2000 12:01:09

Keith wrote : "I thought your comments surprisingly balanced this time Alex. Except that my car beat yours (when Gordon was driving) despite my car having an extra 50kilos of (very stylish!!) ballast."

I was being deliberately provocative on the Vx vs. K series thread, but it worked!!! Being short and rotund makes for good balance. cool.gif

Gordon was just following team orders not not show me up this time!! - and anyway, I don't think you had any extra ballast compared to me in my car. wink.gif It must be those slippers that kept you ahead of Gordon. I can see it now. OMP charged a premium for their inside out gloves just because Ayrton Senna wore his inside out. What about Lotus 7 Club Moccasins (endorsed by the Club Sec)?

Hay what about the zetec. Am I the only one out there who likes the Zetec.

I guess in many ways it's similar to a vx. Good power lots of torque and cheap.

I'm beginning to feel a bit on my own here. Has the whole of the seven world gone vx and K mad.....