Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Your thoughts on please

Matt Hillman

Can't see a problem in using the Caterham supplied (Comma) 5W50 oil *wink*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Flanders AO - l7C.flanders.ao@telenet.be

Used Halfords fully synth in mine, got the plugs from there too. One thing though, the oil filter. Make sure it is the OEM one, not the generic. Apparantly it makes a difference.

I've dropped a mate (who you know) a line to see if he has either for you.

BB

• Support Team

Oil is like religion *tongue* - each to their own - do a search for the million and one threads on it!

Obviously the Caterham one will be fine. The Halfords "track day oil" is allegedly the same stuff (but cheaper). Mobil 1 will be fine. Lots of people use the top end Silkolene product.

Spark plugs - NGK BCPR7ES £10 a set from Halfords.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

My ethos is that engine oil is the life blood of your engine, there fore it is worth using good stuff. That is not to say it has to be mega money but certainly good quality. I have used Halfrauds fully synthetic and didn't have a problem with it at all. However, I have just changed to Silkolene Pro S (in my case 5W-40) and the engine feels lovely. It may be psychological but there's no question that it is very good quality oil.

Linky

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Thanks for the help everyone brillant as always

Badger Bill and S M25 T i ordered a filter from Caterham along with some hoses on Monday thanks for the offers. Badger Bill will hopefully see you at MADS, S M25 T will meet you on Isle of Man tour *biggrin* thanks for the offer.

Matt,

I'm the mate BB and Stu refer to. give me a call tomorrow, and I'll source you some oil for the MADS meet. Will discuss pricing when you call.

My number is in the front of Low Flying.

Cheers

Martin Richards

On the subject of engine oil, how often are you all changing your oil??

Obviously useing the correct grade & quality of oil is vital but so is changing it regularly!

The passage of time as well as miles degrades oil so I change mine more often than the CC service schedule. After the first fill following the build I changed the mineral oil at 500 miles & am now useing halfords semi synth 5w40 changing every 2500 to 3000 miles *thumbup*

Edit to say 5w40 semi synth is what CC recommend for the Zetec SE (sigma engine)

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 20 May 2009 22:02:04