Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which HG set ??...... K Series....

Ivaan

Just been looking on fleabay for a head gasket set. There are loads of different suppliers/manufacturers. Which is best??

Also, am I likely to need new bolts? It's the first time head has been off.

I picked out this set...

here

Okay??

Cheers for the advice.

Clive

As already mention DVA is the man for both parts and labour...

Gaskets, use Payen's two part gasket and if you are lifting the head, then replace the flimsy oil ladder (under the sump) with the up-rated version. The OE is 12 oz. of aluminium casting - look more like a paper cake dolly than something designed to keep the engine together.

Whilst the "book" suggests that head bolts can be reused, if they haven't stretched past a certain length, I have given up this practise in favour of replacing with new.

The reason being that I have noticed, when replacing used bolts, that many seem to offer less resistance when they are being stretched!

... and don't bother to consider putting it all back together, without fitting vernier pulleys!

Do you have a reason to suspect your head as got overheated enough to have gone soft?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

John,

Hopefully, the head should be fine. It's never overheated and generally runs cool. If standing, she comes upto 80 deg when the fan cuts in, so all working fine.

I should have the head off in the next day or so, so will know more then. I've never heard of the ladder causing problems.

Clive