Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spraying Waxoyl or Dinitrol inside chassis tubes

thesheep

I've heard people recommending this. I guess you take out some rivets and use the hole to spray in some wax.

Was looking at this Dinitrol kit

Phoned them and they said the tube is 4mm thick. I'm guessing a rivet hole is narrower than that, so I'm not sure I could get the tube inside to spray it around inside the tube...?

Or would you recommend drilling a 5mm hole? (Don't really like the idea of drilling more holes in the chassis than absolutely necessary...)

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

Edited by - thesheep on 18 May 2009 16:08:56

• Leadership Team

Check the 2 pages from my website here and here *thumbup*

I used Waxoyl with the spray spout modified to take a 4mm rivet "body". Don't over wax it - mine chassis leaks Waxoyl through the rivets in hot weather *mad*

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

I sprayed Dinitrol inside the chassis tubes on my last car using a couple of spray cans with the small diameter straw fitted. The tubes won't take much of the gunge anyway, so that seemed to be all I needed. In fact, I just sprayed into the tubes that were accessible from inside the cockpit and the lower outer tubes inside the ali skin that run from the front and disappear next to the foot wells.

I also sprayed copious amounts of Dinitrol alongside the footwells where the crud gathers just inside the outer skin and after, fitted a vented piece of aluminium sheet in this gap to prevent the worst of the crud from going down there in the first place. Finally I warmed the tubes next to skin and ran some Dinitrol alongside all the seams to encourage it to find it's way in and hopefully protect against water ingress.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Lotus Elise Probably the best hair dryer in the world! 😬

Ah OK, so you're not inserting a tube inside the chassis tube. I guess the advantage of that would be that you can spray it all around more easily from the inside and get better coverage. But the holes are probably too small.

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

No, no, you can spray inside the tube through rivet holes. It is only a 4mm rivet used and as I said, you can use a spraycan with the thin straw (available from Frosts *thumbup*)

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Lotus Elise Probably the best hair dryer in the world! 😬