Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlamp fixings......................................

Julian Thompson

Having spent a while fitting nice side repeaters in my headlamps during the build of my car I'm informed that the cups that support the lights are the wrong size (!?) and that the round ball bit of the lamp is crushed because of this. I can't see this and see it as a production std item, the problem occuring due to me tightening the lamps too much - but I had to, becasue they were twisting all over the place!

Anyway, in addition, the little "spot welded" tin tags that supposedly retain the threaded bolt from twisting are not sufficient on my car - they twist out of the recesses and the whole thing spins. Nasty.

Anyone fitted the smaller, James whiting lamps care to comment on how the threads are retained on those, or how they have overcome this problem, or if I do actually have faulty ones, as suggested by John Noble Motorsport.

Julian

I have just fitted the 5 inch headlights from James Whiting with no problems apart from the wiring being a little shorter making it a little more awkward to connect. From memory, they have a piece if metal inside the headlight bowl that engages on the the fixing bolt, similar to the originals and the headlights tightened up without difficulty. I personnely prefer the look of the smaller lights.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Julian, I think the fact that you posted a Tech at night says it all... no-one reads them outside of company time. teeth.gif

I have normal headlamps and apart from the powder coating having come off the ball & socket, they're OK.

Worcs L7 club joint AO

Membership No.id=red> 4379id=green>

Azure Blue SLR No. 0077id=blue>

Thanks guys - sorry to be impatient!

I've tried and tried to get hold of James Whiting but nobody ever bothers to ring me back (sorry but true) - but......

Caterham have advised me that they have indeed has a bad batch of bowls recently which exhibit the symptoms mine has of the bit of tin twisting when you tighten the lamp.

I suspect Tony is about to tell me that my car will flop its SVA with the nice little side repeaters it now has so it's a good job Caterham look like they'll replace them for me!

Over to Tony......

I had a telephone discussion the SVA centre at Derby to arrange my test date.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful but did say NO to having the repeaters in the headlamps. I was intending to fit these next week and Jue has them fitted and is awaiting the SVA test.

I mentioned I had seen this done on a number of Caterhams, his reply was that they must have been fitted after the SVA.

Anyone know different?

TonyR

Pretty sure Count has them fitted and no probs on SVA - perhaps he'll clarify.

Certainly it's a bugger as Derby is "my" SVA location too!

Although it's irrelevant, I wonder WHY they don't like the idea? They car be seen very, very well and are at a better, more "normal" height than the cycle wing ones. They flash, just like cycle wing ones. They are indeed orange, just like cycle wing ones........um.....

SVA = arse

my guess would be it is a measurement thing, lights have various distances to comply with, indicators in the middle of headlights would be daft (just to illustrate) , so there's probably a minimum distance for indicator from main/white/beam lights edge or centre.

belay that: it'll be the required distance from the edge of the vehicle being insufficient - long term memory at work here. (again in extremis to illustrate: indicators in the middle of the vehicle would be silly, so there's a limit related to the distance to the edge of the car).

Tuppence please.

Anthony

E536 JFH - Cosworth 1700 BDR - mobile 07970 719644

Edited by - anthonym on 13 Jul 2002 09:16:23

not wishing to cast dispersions on the quality of the SVA performed Gillingham (my Factory build was done there), Caterham send an awful lot of cars there, so the inspector I would lthink would be a little less shall we say demanding on some of the finer pointsquestion.gif

My local Tiger dealer is haveing all sorts of problems with one guy in Liverpool, but took the same car to manchester and had to make only 1 quick fix. Depends where you take it and how zelous the examinier is I suppose

The metal tags on my headlamps do just as Julian says. Superlight built about a year ago. The problem came to light when I put a bit of waxoyl in there, after an earlier thread about corrosion. You can grip the nut in the headlamp bowl with long nosed pliers but aligning it is more difficult with the light unit not in place.

I've never heard of a Westfield suffering this problemtongue.gif

I thought James W and Westfield both used the headlamps from Anthony Stafford Vehicle Components (01827 67714). My Y2K catalogue has the 5 and three quarter inch halogen headlights, in chrome or black, at £90 per pair, plus £7 p&p, VAT included.........

Edited by - Blatman on 14 Jul 2002 21:20:19