Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heated 'screens

CHRIS CLARK

I have a problem (?) with the front heated 'screen. It doesn't appear to work.

No, I shouldn't have 'aeros' Mr Hollington!!!

Have checked the current flow when switched on and it is 8.32 amps (eng not running). This seems about right to me, but the screen doesn't seem to 'feel' warm and huffing on the thing leaves the screen still misted over.

So, what is the 'correct' amperage pull please? A resistance figure would also be useful as a comparison.

Cheers in advance, Chris

No idea about the electrics but I wouldn't expect the screen to feel warm. It doesn't need to be very warm to be effective at stopping misting.

Also, I can imagine having the engine running would make a big difference to how well it works. Don't you get about two to three (or even four) extra volts out of the alternator when running than you do from just the battery when stopped? This would make 25% difference to the current and make the screen work much better. THEREFORE, you're breathing test alone may not be conclusive. What other evidence do you have that the screen isn't working?

Anthony

Chris - the screen doesn't feel warm even when working.

Put the hood up and start heavy breathing - come on, we know you know how and I suspect you'll already have "tested" this way.

If it doesn't clear the screen and you're definitely getting current draw I have n idea what's wrong!

Maybe your towel rail's drawing too much power? Or is that plumbed into the water circuit?

Chris,

Haven't tried mine recently but I do remember many years ago I had a Scorpio (pre fish-eye!) with a heated screen and that never felt warm when switched on but boy was it effective at clearing the screen in Winter.

I can remember getting the car in the Summer and doing just wahat you did i.e. huff on it to see if it was working, as I had never had a car with heated screen before. It didn't seem to be working so I had a word with the dealer who just smiled and said "Everybody does that when they first get one of those Sir but don't worry, it is working".

A better test is to face the car into bright daylight, turn on the screen and try and focus your sight very carefully on the screen elements. If it is working, you will see light distortion through the screen rather like a Summer heat haze (if you can remember what they were like!).

Brent teeth.gif

Rest assured, if you are running 8A throught the circuit and nothing is smoking then you are dissipating 90+Watts in the windscreen. If you really want the feel the warmth, wrap the screen ibn a duvet for half an hour.

Being a large flat vertical surface, the screen is a really efficient convector. All the energy goes into moving air.

Another good way of moving air is by pressing the right pedal to the floor!

Pat

Had the same problem with my screen, was it working or not, I was cought out by the rain the other day and after rushing to put up the top found the car to be steemed up, chance to try it out, did not feel warm but cleared the screen very well.

Try using a steaming kettle with the hood up for the same effect.

Well, I have used it recently with the hood up (yeah, I know but it was p****ing down ) & the 'screen steamed up in about 6 nano seconds. Put switch on with the result that the light in the switch lit up but that was it; bu**er all else happened!!!!!thumbsdown.gif

Andy M.

The chrome roll bar ('towel rail') is a cunningly sorted oil/water cooler and extra oil storage device. Cheaper than a Pace system & more efficient. I might even connect it up one dayconfused.gif

Mick Day.

Is the 'screen a polished Ali one? How much? New one is 191 ukp +vat including all the rubber trim. Cost through insurance is 50 quid for a new 'un!

Mathew A.

The mags are great. I didn't realise how 'clubby' the mag used to be unlike the slick one we have now. Rather like the loose format actually!!!thumbsup.gif

ps For you lot not 'in the know' I'm refering to a stack of old Low Flying mags!!!!!!!!!!! Really.

OK, here's the deal. If you have an ohmmeter, connect to each side of the screen connectors to see if you get a resistance; it should be minimal, but not an open circuit. If the ohmmeter indicates an open circuit, the screen wires have a flaw and it will not work. If you get a circuit connection at this point, then the heated screen is probably functioning normally. The problem is it takes a while for the wires in the screen to get warm enough to function. Eventually they will; just don't anticipate instant clearing. I live in Seattle which has weather similar to my UK cousins. If the weather is damp, turn on the heated screens when you start the car as there is some lag time for them to properly function. Mine eventually work, and they are effective in miserable weather. Over 8 amps? I'll check mine and compare numbers. The windshield will never appear to be warmer than ambient temperature. The heated windscreen is a clever idea because it allows my more robust listers to forego the heater and assoiciated plumbing for warm air demisters.

George (when do I upgrade from "Novice"?)

A Seven owner without a multimeter? Unheard of in this part of the world!!!

So, what resistance should I get (approx)? I'm going out now to the garage to test it. I'll post the result later.

I know; as they say in "The Prisoner"................

"Resistance is useless"

smile.gif

Chris

have you thought about using a seperate power supply for the screen ? I have heard it is possible to mount a Lister Type D Stationary Engine in the boot of the Seven , belt driven to a generator. Should give you enough AMPs to power the screen and get Suzie a heated seat too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALan Wain

OO51VEN Licensed to Thrill!!

Trouble is Al, the front wheels will be about 1metre off the ground (and no, that's not 'cos of the fabulous Clamshell wings!!!!!!!!!!).

Does that mean I will need to add extra weight to something forward of the boot to counterbalance it?

Move out the way lads. I need to have some more McFlurries fast!thumbsup.gif

Latest................. On way down to the L7C of GB International we picked up a small stone chip in the middle of the 'screen. Not nice, but I could live with it. During the International a Suzuki Vitara (Millbrook Bypass) flicked up a stone with the result that the screen now has a two penny piece sized stone 'explosion' on it. New one required. Note:- Polished aluminium 'screens are now non standard items. The new standard ones are anodised silver (or black of course).