Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen and rain

CK

What's the best stuff to spray (or otherwise apply) on the inside of the windscreen to make the rain slide off easily?

...and no, an aero isn't an option 😬

After experiencing some bad standing water on the A1 yesterday I also have additional respect for CR500's.

Chris - Minds Alive

• Support Team

Use it on both sides of the screen. I use Rain-X (or Halfords equivalent) and very rarely have to turn the wipers on.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Hmm. Odd.

RainX works very-well on my tintop - as long as you are travelling above roughly 45mph and are not caught up behind something generating spray.

But on the 7, it never worked for me while I still had a screen on - you just don't seem to get the right flow to shift the drops.

So, so answer your original question, the best thing to apply to a 7 windscreen is a spanner and ratchet - ditch the screen in favour of an aero - much, much better visibility *thumbup*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Like Myles, I never found Rain-X to work on the Se7en's screen - the water droplets just stall in place and don't seem to move.

I just use the wipers for the front and a cloth for inside of the screen

-----See some pictures of the build here. 16000 miles completed!

CK

For what reason is an aero deflector not an option?

I took my windscreen off a week after getting my 7 (even though it was December) just to see what it looked like and it has never been back on in 2.5 years.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

I suspect the reason is the screen in in a low pressure area, almost a vacuum. Hence the 1" lift of the rear edge of the bonnet extract the hot aur from under the bonnet.

But Rain X does work on the inside. And your glasses (if worn).

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

It's just the usual , when it's pi$$ing down and raining from behind/side so that it reaches the inside.

Aero isn't an option, too much hassle for me when I use the car in all weathers. I know others do, but my preference is for a screen *biggrin*

Chris - Minds Alive

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my 1000 mile round-trip to Montreux and back in the Seven - conclusion is that Rain X works brilliantly. It only failed slightly on the way back when I had the problem some of you mentioned earlier, that the water hangs on the screen rather than edging away.

It was still working after the trip, but just didn't repell the water totally - didn't have to use the wipers much either. On the way down there it was like a monsoon in places, and I only had the wipers on twice on intermittent; rest of the time the rain just pushed away to the outside of the screen. Normally the spray is a nightmare to cope with, but it was like a different car with the Rain X on both sides of the screen.

edited to add: as an aside, my American mate who I was drinking with last night said that he uses Rain X on the inside of his ice-hockey visor to stop condensation from sweat blocking his vision.

Chris - Minds Alive

Edited by - CK on 10 Jun 2009 20:46:45