Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Braking

ECR

Having just returned from spectating at Curborough (instead of organising it !) it struck me that quite a few competitors can probably make chunks of time by improving their braking techniques. A significant number seem to lift very early on Woodside and then coast into the Molehill. The same thing happens on the short straight into Fradley hairpin. They are basically using the habits which they have gained in everyday road driving. If you keep the power on longer and brake harder (particularly at those 2 points) you will see immediate improvements in times.

When you think about it very few of us ever hit the brakes really hard in normal road driving (which is what you should be doing here). We may press firmly or even very firmly, but very rarely hit the brake pedal in the way that I advocate. I recommend finding a quiet stretch of tarmac and practising b***s out braking so you can find the limits, then start to use this on track. Whenever I have given tuition at Curborough, every pupil without fail is very reluctant to hit the brake pedal hard and it takes quite a few attempts and much persuasion before they do it with confidence.

You should either be on the throttle or on the brake (preferably hard if possible). Never allow yourself to “coast”

As with all things practice makes perfect…

Just my opinion of course

😬

Edited by - ecr on 17 May 2009 14:30:38

Having just started in 'motorsport' this year and initially thinking it was all about using the accelerator as much as possible... I now realise it's as much, if not more, about braking correctly.

I agree with your comments, but it does take some doing to overide long time braking habits gained on the road. This process isn't helped by the seven's non-servo assisted brakes needing massive ammounts (comparatively) of pedal pressure to achieve the desired result.

I fully understand and agree with you ECR. It took me a long time to learn how and when to brake in my previous track car (Mk3 Golf VR6), especially after I removed the servo and went onto a bias-bar pedalbox! It does take balls to go deeper and deeper into a corner to find your braking point (especially fast corners like Clervaulx and Tower at Croft), but it's oh so satisfying when you get it right!

I know how fragile egos can be (i've got one). If it was you, don't take it as a criticism. It's an opportunity to discover that you really CAN drive faster

*cool*

Success in sprinting lies between the ears, not at the end of the right leg ...

Ex Chairman Roger

• Area Representative

Hi Roger,

You should either be on the throttle or on the brake (preferably hard if possible). Never allow yourself to “coast”
I have heard this said several times including a very speedy lap of Oulton Park with Ken Evans in V11 UFO and most recently from Mr Price (on today's trackwalk) and its very sound advice *thumbup*

Nick

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

• Area Representative

On my two wet runs, it all went wrong before my foot had gone anywhere near the brake pedal 😳 😳

However, my personal target was to brake later everywhere on my second timed run, but then it rained again *mad* ☹️

Edited by - Richard Price on 18 May 2009 10:46:11

Nice to see some advice from an experienced bystander ECR 😶‍🌫️ and I mean that in a respectful manner naturally *wink*

P.S. is your conrod back inside the block yet?

Edited by - kart on 21 May 2009 20:34:57