Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vernier pulleys

Carlos Prangdango

I have heard much about the benefits of vernier pulleys, but never from anyone who has actually fitted them. I understand the principle behind them and it seems only logical, but are there really noticible gains to be had here???

What improvment can I expect to see if I choose to fit them to a K 1.6 SS?

Question 2, if I do decide to fit vernier pulleys, where is the best place to purchase them from?

They will transform the drivability of your car, making engine pick up better and smoother, as the valve/cam timing will be closer to what it should be when set up.

Speak to Oily on here.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Hmm - well, the magnitude of the benefits depend on how far out your standard pulleys are in the first place, surely. It's worth measuring the lift you've got before shelling out - if that's the only modification you're making.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The inlet cam timing is so far out some engines that rotating the pulley one tooth can give almost the same gains as fitting vernier pulleys without the cost.

Like Myles suggests, check the current timing to see if this is feasible. I have made this adjustment to a few engines with excellent results.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Some folk see dramatic improvement others hardy any Just goes to show how uninterested Rover where in the original set up As has been said some where nearly a tooth out.

I started of with off set dowels to correct the Timing and Only went to Verniers on a bigger cam and head change later It's all on DVAs site

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Having fitted quite a few of them for Club members, I have to say that it is a no brainer, for the simple reason that the manufacturing tolerances of the original engine leaves much to be desired.

The down side is that you can't just buy and bolt them on, but rather you need to beg borrow or steal the appropriate gauges to establish the correct valve timing.

You profile lacks a location but if you are any where near the farm I'd be pleased to fit and time them for you.

... if you want a reference statement - assume you are currently running some 5% out on your timing!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Having speed read something recently on what used to be cars and car conversions Mr Walker gives them some credence. It seems that any one engine/manifold/cam/exhaust manifold combo is unlikely to be the same as another. Therefore it is often beneficial to be able to swing the cam timing on the rolling road to allow for this. The cam manufacturers are unlikely to have been able to predict what your exact installation was going to look like so they make an estimate of what should work well when they spec the timing. what your own engine sees is unlikely to be what they predicted and you may well benefit from subtely changing the timing accordingly.

Or something like that. I'm going to watch some telly now and have a lie down.

Edited by - millsn on 16 May 2009 08:59:43

Well, thanks for all your replies.

My decision has been swayed, (didnt take much persuading!), vernier pullies it is.

The cam carriers coming out soon anyway to replace a noisey follower and inspect for anything else untoward causing the tapping/rattle noise, and the cam belts due a change.

Should be enough there to keep me in the garage for the day. *smile*