Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Coolant leak on new engine - now solved

Slider7

My car is currently with Andy Belcher (Tech 7) for a service and some major upgrades.

One of these upgrades is the replacement of my old 1.6 K SS engine by a new VVC (R300) engine.

This engine was bought from a former club member and was advertised as brand new / never run / never fitted to a car. He bought the engine directly from CC.

Sadly, Andy informed me that there's a problem : the engine is leaking coolant from between the head & the block. Otherwise the engine is running fine ... Andy tried to retorque the bolt, but no joy.

Seems like the head needs to come off to investigate.

Any ideas on what could be causing this leak ???

☹️

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Flanders AO - l7C.flanders.ao@telenet.be

Edited by - Slider@7 on 14 May 2009 14:31:57

TADTS... *smile*

Could be as simple as part of the "rubber" seal got snagged when initally fitted. Not point in speculation, removing the lid will tell all, and it Andy can't fix it, then no body can.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

They really do *eek*

You're right ... my car is in good hands ... it's just that I feel so helpless now, knowing that there is a problem but not knowing the exact cause ☹️

Will it cost a lot extra to resolve ... will my car still be ready in time (I normally was collecting it now Saturday - Shullte already paid) ... etc ... questions, questions, questions

Hence my posting on here in the hope for some reassurance that it can always turn out to be only a minor issue ...

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

*wink* *thumbup*

The only bad feeling I have is that the person from whom I bought the engine (a former club member) and the person from whom I collected the engine (also a former club member and even a former CC employee) don't respond to my emails for the moment. Maybe they just don't read their mail every day ... maybe they are away on business ... but it just leaves me with a bad feeling ☹️ ...

Edited to add that I managed to get that second person on the phone in the meantime *thumbup*

Still a mystery why a new engine has a coolant leak ... but Andy is taking off the head as I write this, so hopefully I'll soon have an answer.

Edited by - Slider@7 on 13 May 2009 21:08:23

Just spoke to Andy ... and he had some very good news : problem was the headgasket ... and more importantly, it's now solved and the engine is running like a beauty 😬 *thumbup*

He also confirmed it was a brand spanking new engine btw *thumbup*

Looks like I can collect it now Saturday after all.

Top man *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Thanks for the mental support on here 😶‍🌫️ 😬

Wee Beastie MK II : indeed & again in organge with CF 😬

Jamie, the ECU was just perfect *thumbup*

*wavey*

Indeed ... but that's only when I'm doing the full strip down - full rebuilt exercise *eek*

However, still a few years away I'm afraid ☹️ ... since there's another 'wee beastie' on its way ... ETA November 2009 *smile* *biggrin* *cool*

😬 😬 😬

Thanks Mick *wink* *thumbup*