Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mixing tyres.

Gingerbread Man

Not good form to mix and match tyres is it.

I've Yokohama 048s all round currently and fancy changing to 888's. The rears need replacing but the fronts are fine.

In shouldn't really chuck some new 888's on the rear and then replace the front 48's with 888's when they wear down, leaving me with all round 888's?

Tell me off.

Its all in your head. Fire them on.

You're only wasting money if you sell and buy 4 new, so just do as you suggest.

If nothing else, it'll let you compare them a little...although its easier to compare fronts against fronts and rears against rears, rather than front/rear.

Mixing tyre makes can mean the front of the car behaves in one way, when the rear behaves another. For example, the front could be progressive up to let go point, where you suddenly make a 7 shaped hole in the scenery, and the rears could be as grippy as black widow toes. 888s and 048s are fairly similar, so I don't think you'll get any nasty behaviour from them.

When you think about it, lots of people put different widths of tyres on front and rear, and run different pressures, which make them behave differently.

It's all marketing and modern physcological, subliminal communinsation from the box in the corner of your living room if you ask me.

Willie

Along a similar vein, I've A048s on mine but my rear left wears much more quickly than my rear right (roundabouts and LSD *rolleyes* *redface* ). Should it be ok if I swap them round to even the wear? This would reverse the tread pattern obviously but I don't drive it in the wet anyway.

Simon

niknak.org

I run Toyo proxy's on the front and some Falkens on the rear. Gives a nice balance just need to be awake in damp conditions.

As for running them the wrong way I used to regularly run some Yoko's backwards in the wet as i am sure they performed better.

I've run directional tyres the wrong way on the front for years on lightweight cars. Far better braking IMHO especially in the wet!!

Sure I'm not the only one as I picked the tip up off some 7 racers years ago!

Beaulieu #28

Oi! Saxo boy! you might think it's ugly, but you're only gonna see the back anyway!

Hello

Most of people try to increase the roadholding, the brakes efficiency...

in one word : the security

if the car is only used in town or circuit

you can do the test for us, you could also try china tyres

and told us about the drift ability *smile*

But if the car must be use on open road, why you don't buy A set of 2 048

and change the 4 when used (as we all do or so )

Next year, if you are a good boy *wink*, you could have a new set of 888

All that with your mind in peace

Ask the question, mean you doubt and so you cannot do it

eric

Similar question.

I have 4 x old Pirelli P600 on my road wheels (just aquired the car). They have tons of tread left and look OK for road driving.

However, I don't have a spare tyre and need to buy one.

Don't think they sell P600s anymore so should I try to get something similar (I guess just an all-season tyre) or can I start buying A021Rs now, since in the long run they look like a better choice. So just have the single A021R on the back.

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

I ran 021s on the front and 0482 on the rear. Was wuite nice in the dry. Then at Spa in the wet the front cut through a little river on the track , the rear didn't, lifted up and put me in the wall. Very cheesed off, all my fault but tyres were the cause. I woudlnt recommend that combination to others (ie variable tread depth and coverage)