Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petty Strut - Fitting Advice

Mark Durrant

A new club member needs urgent advice on where to drill the hole for the bolt that secures the petty strut to the chassis by the N/S passenger footwell. It will be a new FIA bar going on a 2003 De Dion chassis. The plan is to fit the FIA bar in time for Sunday's sprint at Curborough.

TIA

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

The hole is about 30mm down and 5mm back from the point where the dash chassis member rises from the horizontal cross member. I would strongly suggest you check the location by drilling out some of the top row of rivets fixing the trim panel, and then peeped inside to locate the hole.

The threaded hole will certainly be full of rust,clean it out with a thread tap (7/16" UNF)

*smile*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Dave is spot on - I didn't think we had the necessary hole but after a bit of investigating the hole (with captive nut) was exactly were required. It took a bit of finding and cleaning out but you should not need to be drilling new holes etc. *wavey*

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

Mark

Where is the new club member? Hard to describe, easier to see.

Apart from removing some rivets, strongly suggest a pilot drill and you need to make the hole larger than the boss so that the petty strut can lie absolutely flat against the boss.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

As Dave J says drill out 4-5 rivets pull back trim and use depth gauge ( piece of wire) to determine position of hole - pretty eay once you have pulled back the trim panel.

The lead dog always gets the best view.

Found my hole( 🙆🏻), using the small round magnetic recovery tool thingy ( magnet on radio ariel ). It pulls itself over the hole. You can feel the chassis rail and boss location quiet easily. Marked the centre with a piece of tape, then drilled pilot hole and opened out. No drilling rivets/removing skin ect.