Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed Championship - Spare Parts at Events

Mark Durrant

To date we do not provide 'support' in terms of spares at events and have relied upon what members carry or the ability to borrow parts off other cars. Whilst this has worked in the past recent events have highlighted the need for something more formal.

Now I am not suggesting we get involved with a third party being present at all rounds just a select number of spares being carried to enable competitors to carry out repairs. We will not have a van to carry everything so we need to be realistic about what we can provide. If you agree the idea will be for a competitor to bring the spares to each round (normally me) and then when a part is used it is replaced by the person using it in time for the next round.

I will start a list here and please feel free to add to it:

K Series

Spark Plugs

Rotor Arm

Crank Position Sensor

Throttle Pot

Dizzy Cap

Ignition Leads

Coil

De Dion

Ears 1.5 degree x 2

Radius Arms x 2

Rear Hub Assembly (including bearing)

Steering arms plus bolts (n/s & o/s)

I am sure there is plenty more but please be realistic. I have discounted a De Dion tube due to size, cost and the different variations. I have also ruled out spare wheels for the same reason (sorry Richard)

Grateful for your feedback

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

other annoying bits that are often failing and are easy to carry .....

rear exhaust hanger + bobin

coolant

battery (saves the rest of the paddock breaking into sweat)

EU2 K series coil lead

EU3 plug top coil pack

K series alternator lower metal spacer, ring seal and bolt

Fuel pump

electrical cut out switch

box of fuses

K series relay pack thingy under the ECU

tyre valve

cuddly toy

12 foot long extendable timing beam strut to get that extra 0.03sec at curbuggar 😬

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Mark,

If it helps I already carry a throttle cable, clutch cable, dizzy cap and a set of plus - would be more than happy to throw these in to the pot for whoever needs them. *smile*

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

Edited by - Chris101 on 12 May 2009 12:49:43

Mark, unfortunately will now be missing some rounds, this is a copy of my previous post slightly modified.

Why not compile all info. into one document and occasionally publish it so people can print ot off and we know who might have what. Cheers, Nige. *thumbup*

I intend to have the following in my trailer at speed championship events this year. If you want it, it's yours. If drive to event people want their own smallish bits carried, there's room if you request/provide them. Sorry not enough room for a De-dion axle.

Replacements

3.89:1 open Ford English differential.

English half shaft, built up with bearing/seal etc.

Battery lead 12” with crimped lugs for bolts.

Anderson plug with flying leads for permanent connection of battery pack.

Radiator cap.

4x60 degree metric wheel nuts.

Barnby metric nuts.

Dash toggle switches.

Fuel pump (non injection)

Consumables

5/40 Halfords motorsport engine oil

On the subject of spare parts - John Lyon borrowed a timing strut at Goodwood but was unable to return it as he blew his engine in practice. I now have the strut in my posession and will be at Curbouough on Sunday whith the strut! Unfortunately John does not know who he borrowed the strut from - so if anyone knows who is the rightful owner he can reclaim his posession from me on Sunday. If you could let me know beforehand it would be useful - I am No. 35 on Sunday. If you (the owner of the strut) are not going to be a Curborough on Sunday please let me know how John can arrange for you to be reunited!

Regards Mike D

• Leadership Team

Mark - As you know, I think this is a fantastic idea, and am in greatful admiration of the support and help that is offered in the paddock to get competitors back on the road and track.

I would just suggest a good suggestion of suspension, engine & gearbox bolts, nuts and washers. From a Crossflow perspective, I know the problem of finding appropriate imperial bolts in South wales,for example. Could caterham or Redline make us up a "common" selection?

Michael.