Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear brake cylinders - live axle

ashaughnessy

Rang James Whiting today to buy a couple of brake cylinders for the back brakes. I was told there are two different types of cylinder used on the ital/marina axle and I'd need to work out which one I had. The two types have different bores, apparently. This was entirely new to me.

Does anyone know anything about this? How would I work out which I have?

Wouldn't the bore size be matched to the master cylinder, to get the correct "gearing"? I've replaced the rear cylinders in the past and don't remember having to say what type I had.

Anthony

Sorry cant help with the info but...

I tried to buy a clutch slave cylinder and took the original one with me to use for the part number,the one I received was wrong. Did the same again with the master cylinder then found out that 2 different bore sizes for both were available, both with the same part number.

Rae

Does James not have any recommendations? Might be worth a chat with the techy guys at Caterham (especialy Simon Lambert) who are always happy to talk about the service requirements. Simon has an email address on their web site which he normally replies to very promptly.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Anthony,

You will probably find they are normal car type , but they could be van type bepending on who sourced your axle. The best solution is take the thing out and go to your local motor factors who will be able to supply. I bet you will find they are cheaper than JW and you dom't have to mess about wiyh P+P/ delays etc.

CHEERS

CHRIS

REAL SEVENS HAVE IRON B'LOCKS

Instead, I rang Redline and asked for a pair of new slave cylinders for a live axle car. They didn't mention there was a choice and neither did I. Therefore, I'm taking whatever they give me on the basis of what I don't know won't hurt me. It's much easier when you don't have to make a decision!

It would be interesting, though, to find out the difference in bore size between the two and therefore work out the effect on the "gearing" of the brakes. May be a fine-tuning option perhaps?

Anthony

Yes - there are 2 sizes of wheel cylinder for the Marina/Ital back axle

17.78mm bore Part No 64673049

19.05mm bore Part No 64673476 (these are also indicated as a Ford Cortina spare)

I've not found it possible to distinguish between them from external markings. Hence, replace in pairs.

In my experience, Lucas replacement cylinders are worth searching out. I've been supplied pattern parts in the past, and had trouble getting a seal on the brake pipe. No problems with the Lucas parts though - but this could just be my cack-handedness. Motor factors should be able to supply either type.

In terms of brake effort, I believe the 19mm cylinders should give marginally improved brake force (since force = pressure x area) at the expense of marginally more pedal travel (more fluid to move). So that what I fit.

Thanks Allan. Whose part numbers are these? Lucas, Leyland, ...?

The ones I got from Redline unfortunately seem to be a pattern replacement as they don't have a recognisable brandname/logo cast into them (they have a capital L in a circle, which may or may not stand for Lucas, don't know).

Anthony

Anthony

Can't be sure about who's number these are. But they're quoted in Tony Weale's book, and on the boxes of various supplier of wheel cylinder I've had. The cylinders themselves don't seem to have any obvious manufacturer's name/number on them.

Your best bets would be:

1 Speak with Caterham Parts Dept, and ask them the number they keep in stock. My Live axle parts catalogue lists both these part numbers (which are not a Caterham-originated).

or

2 Go to a motor factors (eg Partco, APD etc) and check what they have in against the Marina/Ital. As I indicated in my last post, the boxes containing my current spare pair of 19mm cylinders also states they are also a Ford Cortina spare, so it may be worth checking this too. A decent motor factor should have enough parts books in to be able to cross check against various suppliers. (I wouldn't bother with Halfords)

Get in touch If you have trouble.

Allan