Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Water temp sender and water rail

jackb_ms

Quick question

Should there a some kind of o ring seal between the water temperature sender and the water rail?

If yes, what kind should it be? would a motor factor have one or is it a Caterham car special?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

or you'll shear the little bugger off

Ah-yes! Been there

I did just that - and had to fit the 'R500' submarine instead - but managed to remove the stub in the end.

From memory, both the ECU sender and certainly the instrument sender can be sealed with just PTFE. I think the ECU sender thread is straight (rather than tapered) - but I might be wrong there.

The tapered thread is definitely a case of tighten-lightly, run the engine, check for leaks. Then - if and only-if you've got a leak - tighten a little more.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The gasket for the rail, is it handed?

Not that I remember. There have been various designs of water-rail for the 7, but I don't believe the block has changed (1.4s excepted, possibly).

I assume that this dates back to the discussion we had regarding easing a bit of sealant in to cure a leak without removing the whole thing...?

The important thing is that the *holes* in the gasket aren't smaller than those in the block/rail - but I'm fairly sure that the gaskets I had matched pretty-well...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Having just put my engine back in yesterday, the water rail gasket does have an wrong and right way. Two bolts hold it on which are at diagonals from each other. Also the bottom right of it has a slight notch.

Basicly yes it's handed but obvious to which way it goes. I'm talking K series.

Yes Miles, You are correct.

This is the gasket i have this gasket

I have place it on the water rail and as far as I understand the squared part of the hole is closer to the back of the engine. Is it what you mean Gingerbread Man?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21