Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Touring Spares...

J7HPC

So, i'm wondering if anyone has a good list of spares to carry when touring? Having just lost a clutch cable 10 miles from home, i'm thinking about what else I should carry as i'm driving to Misano in Italy next month.

So far, oil, small socket set, gaffer tape, cable ties, a few circlips, bulbs and fuses, other than that i'm now including clutch and throtle cables, any other common things I should add to my list?

Thanks

Rupert

Have a look at angus and tessa website where they have a list of touring requirements......and they have made a lot of trips out of the UK.

Some cleverclogs will be along soon and provide a link to this *wavey* *arrowdown* Thanks Blokko

Edited by - brunel on 10 May 2009 19:53:02

Edited by - brunel on 11 May 2009 08:58:56

A tool roll from machine mart for 4.49 and a basic set of tools so you can fit the spares you are taking *wink*

TOOL ROLL

There is a handy pocket in it for some of the spare parts - the cable inners will roll up in it

Edited by - Billyboy on 10 May 2009 23:28:03

More important than taking spares is to prepare the car and change any hoses that look cracked and/or hard and the fanbelt if it's more than 3 years old. A thorough inspection can save a lot of grief.

Fit a new rad cap whilst your there.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Not wanting to upset anyone but I believe ropes are now illegal in France. They seem to be selling folding bar tow bars and no ropes. Someone told me that ropes are now illegal but as it's one of the "brit-pack" I can never be sure if they're right.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I have high vis jackets, warning triangle and first aid kit for Europe and I'll take the tow rope and go along with the theory that I can claim foreign ignorance if they pull me over....

Risky but i'd rather carry a rope than a pole in the seven....

Rupert

Stick the hi-vis jackets under the seat. You have to be able to show that you can put them on before you get out of the car - at least in theory (I'd love to see 2 people, sat in a Caterham getting their jackets out from under the seat and putting them on whilst still in the car!)