Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacment Engine Mounts

Farmer_Terry

I ordered some new inlet manifold gaskets from Caterham for our two Weber 45DCOE’s. This is what arrived (my thumb to show scale), but this is what we took off. The rubber rings supplied by Caterham are very slightly smaller in internal diameter than the rubber bits of the old gasket.

Have we just got the wrong gaskets (we can't see how they would fit)?

If they are wrong, what should we have ordered?

Any help gratefully received.

Farmer Terry (and his car)

Edited by - Farmer_Terry on 9 May 2009 14:11:22

There is a style of mount that is a solid block with an o-ring on each side, which may be what they have sent you. A search for MISAB on burton's website gives these here. These have the same function as what you had but as 2 seperate seals per carb. Probably best to replace the mounting bobbins as well as they soften with age.

Terry, I've never seen the joined Mishabs on a 7 before. However, Burtons will sort it for you and you should get them next day. Just ring and tell them the carb model number and the engine type. Model number is on the top plate.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

That's great everyone - thank you very much. At least someone knows what we have here. *smile* Sounds easily sortable - I will try Redline on Monday. (Couldn't find them on the internet, but eventually remembered that they advbertise in Low Flying - Doh *confused* )

What exactly is/are "mishab"s?

They are the swedish manufacurer of the rubber-ring-on-plate carb to manifold seal. If you clean the ones you've got you may see the name printed faintly on them.

At least that's what comes to mind. The piture of the plates with rings in them are known as Mishab seals or gaskets.

Weber carbs are normally mounted on flexible mounts. This is to prevent the fuel foaming in the float chamber due to vibration. You will have either rubber mounts surrounded by steel cups or thackery washers (wavy spring washers). I do mine up evenly by using a small mirror to see the lower mountings. There should be 10mm up and down movement at the throat. However I have seen them looser than that. There are other methods of mounting webers, for example Alfas had a rubber mini-manifold and needed a support arm to steady the carbs.

There endeth the 24th lesson.

and for the 25th see mishab seals

Edited by - nverona on 9 May 2009 18:36:10

Thanks Norman - but:-

There should be 10mm up and down movement
That's nearly half and inch (in Christian units anyway) - is that a typo?

P.S. How did I get this thread set up with "Engine Mounts" in the title - bet that had you all fooled. 😬

Edited by - Farmer_Terry on 9 May 2009 18:09:04

Terry, I've added a link to some Mishab seals in the previous post.

10mm at the inlet end of the carbs is not that much over the 5 or 6 inches of the carb. It's about 1/4" up and 1/4" down from the horizontal. Most carbs I see are overtightened. This can lead to frothing in the float chamber and, on a high powered engine, will lead to fuel starvation at high speeds. If you think you have an air leak then give each nut a 1/4 turn but don't overtighten them. Ensure the throttle cable is not holding the throttle open when at idle and make sure the throttle opens fully when pedal is pressed to the floor.

There is a plate on the back face of the carb (facing the cylinder head). If you remove the screws that hold this on and gently remove the plate you will find small throttle springs behind. Make sure these are in good condition and haven't started to break where the springs fit top and bottom. You can get any parts you need from Burton Power

do you know how to adjust them? Advice is freely given on here how to setup twin Webers but I had 4 years training and then another 5 years of practice before I really got it.

ps, just noticed that it's MISAB - no H