Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rad leaking - what washer for bleed bolt?

LazerBrain

I've just has the front of the car jacked up for an hour or so for easier access to the horns, when I noticed there was coolant weeping out of the bleed hole on the top of the rad. The fibre washer is damp and looks like it could do with replacing, but why would raising the radiator have this effect? What sort of washer is it, where can I get one from?

I have recently tightened up the clips on the silicone hoses, but that was over a week (~300 miles) ago. The engine has not been run since last weekend.

'97 1.6K SS with all ali (ie not plastic bits) rad.

Thanks,

Darren.

Edited by - lazerbrain on 11 May 2009 00:26:36

Hmmm - could be... No mention of the diameter though - and the plug to go with it is brass. I think mine has a steel bolt rather than the brass plug mentioned. *confused*

cheers,

Darren.

Edited by - LazerBrain on 9 May 2009 15:22:43

Brian, I've got a selection of fibre washers you can try. I always fitted mine with a smear of silicone sealant on the washer face before nipping up. You won't get any leaks then. *thumbup*

If you are going on Wednesday, I'll bring the box of bits to do the needful for you.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Lotus Elise Probably the best hair dryer in the world! 😬

My fibre washer went ages ago and ever since I've used PTFE. Works fine.

I have a 1999 VVC with the original brass (?) rad. I brought a fibre washer from the Caterham site and it turned out to be the wrong size. After emailing in they said that they don't sell it any more but he linked me to another fibre washer which might.

Any plumbing shop will have fibre washers. Might have to slightly enlarge the hole if a perfect match can't be found but that's no problem.

Bottom line - PTFE.