Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

number plates

had my SEPT 2000 beamer 330d touring MOT'd yesterday....it failed.......the number plates did not have the post code of the number plate supplier on and it was not made to BSAU 145d

quote on VT 30 (REFUSAL OF AN AN MOT TEST CERTIFICATE)

"001 FRONT (NO POST CODE OR BSAU 145D) REGISTRATION PLATE LETTER MISSING (6.3.1C)

002 REAR (NO POST CODE OR BSAU 145D) LETTER OR FIGURE MISSING (6.1.3C)"

Can't find anything to say that this is required...anybody have any info. I have the original number plates as fitted by the main dealer at day one *mad*

If that really is the rules then it's madness. I would think there is a cutoff date for this and I would think it would be for all cars registered after the new rule came in about not being able to buy plates over the counter without I.D and a reg doc. I think this was about five years ago?? I which case yours would be exempt

jason

Since the end of last year companies making number plates and their suppliers have had to be approved, and the Statutory Instruments set by the Secretary of State in 2001 now have to be adhered to by these manufacturers.

This means:

All plates must use a full sized background

All plates must used the mandatory font Charles Wright IIRC

All plates must show the BS standard 145AU blah on the plate. (This is the standard for its reflective properties)

All plates must show the name and postcode of the company which manufactured it.

The suppliers of number plate materials can only buy from recognised manufatcurers and they must disclose their government registered ID before goods will be shipped.

All registered suppliers are audited (the approved software keeps a 'tamperproof' (I doubt it) record of all plates made for DoT inspection. Records include customer ID hence the need to present ID and the V5 when plates are ordered. Penalties are stiff for non-compliance.

So thats all fine, but......

You can download software to generate show plates from many places on the web

Some number plate printers (car accsy shop) will sell you the reflective material and perspex

You can by the printers for which special drivers have been created on the web. These are typically ticket laser printers as used by airlines etc.

Or, you can get your plates made by someone in the channel islands, where the same materials are used, but the process is unregulated, hence not illegal. They'll even put the BS mark on for you!

Best option if you have to mildly break the law is to have a set of MOT legal plates.

If you are going to display you number plate in chavvy itallics, or seriously misspace the characters (so a half intelligent person cannot figure out your mark from 75 feet) the you deserve the big fine.

Personal plates are also withdrawn for 3 strikes (FPN'S) - there are a couple of cases where this actually happened.

Knowing the DVLA, if its a premier plate they will have it up for sale again in their next auction.....

It is not part of the MOT test to check that the registration plates

supplied on or after 1st September 2001display the BS AU 145d

marking, or the name and postcode of the registration plate

supplier. However, these markings are a legal requirement and

you will be committing an offence if they are not displayed

I suggest you return to the garage where the MOT was done and tell them they are wrong *wink*

You should have a look at here, here & here; or at least point the tester in the right direction.

Now it is possible that the special notice (released 10/07) has been superceeded but I doubt it otherwise www.motuk.co.uk would have been updated.

However assuming the government intends to eventually push this through then all vehicles registered prior to 2001 will have to buy new plates!

• 2 weeks later...

Won the battle but not the war....................... 😬Dear Mr Murray

I am in receipt of your E-mail dated the 13 May 2009 which you sent to our enquiry unit regarding your dissatisfaction with the above garage.

Having instigated a review of your case I can confirm that your opinion was correct in that NT R R Millar did apply the wrong reason for rejection criteria when assessing your number plates. The decision was incorrect for two reasons. The registration date of September 2000 for your vehicle put it out with the reason for rejection criteria and the postcode / BSAU 145d requirement had been removed as a reason for rejection. The failure recorded for "Nearside Headlamp aim too high" meets the fail criteria as outlined in the Testers Manual.

This VTS has since been visited and the matter discussed with both the Site Manager and the Nominated Tester. Please be assured that all relevant and remedial action has been taken to prevent any future recurrence.

In regard to your query about all of the issued MOT documentation having deferent test numbers this is the norm as new numbers are system generated each time a vehicle is logged for test.

I must stress at this point that although we can take disciplinary action against the garage we have no powers to make them refund any unnecessary costs incurred by you as a result of their actions. If you intend seeking compensation from the garage then you may wish to take legal advice.

Regards

John.

Senior Vehicle Examiner