Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice Questions

Dutchy

I'm thinking of having a go at the sprints and have a few qestions to start off with.

Can I join when the season has started already?

Is there anyone in Hampshire who is doing the championship who I could meet up with to talk to?

What roll bar do I need, mine has one diagonal with a petty strut I also have a head support.

Do I need a battery cut off?

What group would a SLR go in?

What tyres do I have to use?

I think I may only need to get a MSA license B, race suit, helmet and timing strut. If so, I assume I can enter and no doubt come last :) . But I saw you all at Goodwood and really fancy having a go!

Any tips would be appreciated!

Steve

Hi there Duchy, certainly is fun and you should give it a go.

You can start anytime through the championship , in any case, we have only just started.

Is there anyone in Hampshire who is doing the championship who I could meet up with to talk to? Sure someone will be along in a mo

What roll bar do I need, mine has one diagonal with a petty strut I also have a head support.That's fine

Do I need a battery cut off? No, but you need to indicate where your ignition is with a sticker

What group would a SLR go in? Depends on the power output and mods

What tyres do I have to use? What are you running at the moment?

Have a look here

for this years regs and other background articles.

Have a go, you won't regret it.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Dutchy

Glad to see Goodwood wetted your appetite. As Neil says sprinting is great fun and the cameraderie of the sprinters absolutely brilliant.

Both Mike Sankey (class 3) and myself (class 1) are in Hampshire and of course there may be others but we would be pleased to meet up and have a chat sometime.

We are at Llandow tomorrow and Llys-y-Fran Sunday if you can make either or Curborough the following weekend.

Good luck and welcome

Ian

Steve

A standard SLR on list 1b tyres will be in class 4 and very competitive. To start with I would use whatever tyres you have fitted such as CR500's as the biggest improvement will come with the driver. The only tyres you are not permitted to use in classes 1-5 are ACB10's. if you have any questions either post on here, drop me an email or call me, my number is in the front of Lowflying.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Hi Steve

I have a standard SL 'R' running in class 4 (based in Bramley between Reading and Basingstoke). I'm on my third and fourth sprint this weekend so the learning points are still fresh in my mind ..... if you want to meet up one evening next week then let me know.

Can I also second what Mark D said - the biggest factor is driver ability! Sadly my times are not competitive but it doesn't mean I have any less enjoyment *smile*

Graham

Graham,

My SLR had an engine rebuild where Minster brought the engine to a r400 spec k series I think.

Would i have to have a rolling road done to find out as I'm not 100% sure.

I'm from the Portsmouth area, perhaps we could meet up for a chat. I may not be able to next week, only day thats a possibility is Thursday at the moment.

Steve

Hi Dutchy,

I think quite a few of yor questions have been answered, but if you want a chat I am just the other side of Fareham so should be easy to meet up. I run in class 3 but would be happy to help.

Mike

A couple more questions:

1. My seatbelts are out of date ie over 10 years old, does this matter for speed events?

2. Do the race suits have a lifespan on them?

I've nearly got everything sorted except the timing strut and the above.

I'm hopeing that I may not be too late to apply for Pembury in June????

Steve

• Area Representative

Steve,

1. My seatbelts are out of date ie over 10 years old, does this matter for speed events?

No, your belts will be fine for speed events if they are in good condition.

2. Do the race suits have a lifespan on them?

Not as such. The current regulations allow a few standards, but from next year the standards are tightening up. You need to look for FIA 1986, or the later FIA 8856-2000 standard. Don't consider buying a suit made of anything other than Nomex.

I think I've got a template to make a timing strut if you need it?

Edited by - Richard Price on 16 May 2009 19:18:04