Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cam Followers

Carlos Prangdango

I am looking at replacing the inlet cam followers, on my 1600 k SS, due to an annoying rattle/tapping that just wont go away. ☹️

Am positive of the diagnosis but am wondering:

A) How to identify the offending follower.

B)If I cant narrow identify it, where to buy a complete set from? Obviously CC, but they seem a little expensive?

A little advice would be welcome.

It's a passion coupled with a sickness!!

If they are all turning OK and no sign of damage just remove the Hydraulic mechanism and fit set of shims

Problem solved *thumbup*

Info fully on DVAs Site 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Solid followers are normally used with more agressive cams...

Where is your location, as I have a couple of set here which you are welcome to swop yours with. I only keep them as spares for conversion to "solid tappet"..

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Leadership Team

Mr F, can I suggest that before jumping in and swapping to solid followers which aren't really necessary on an SS engine, investigate further what can be done about the rattle. IIRC there is often an issue regarding oilways not lining up very well and this can easily be corrected - I think Malcolm H (Englishmaninwales) resolved this issue by making some small mods under the guidance of Oilyhands (DVA).

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Identifying the offending tappet is quite straightforward:

Remove the cam cover and push down with a screwdriver on each follower in turn with the relevant valve in the closed position. Use a 22mm socket to turn the engine over to achieve this condition.

'Good' followers will feel absolutely solid whilst offending ones will depress and feel spongy.

I hope that replacing the offending follower cures the problem as otherwise you may need to use a dremmel to extend the oilway in the follower bore as I did.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

All the oil feed drillings on the exhaust side were either missing or only partly aligning with the oil groove in the follower (when in the closed position) on my cylinder head. As Dave explains, opening up the lower end with a dremel significantly improved, but did not completly cure it. The final cure was to eliminate air in the oil by fitting a drysump system.

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 6 May 2009 15:09:19