Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draining coolant from a K series

chrisddl

I'm in the process of changing out the coolant in my K series, and having opened the heater loop via the heater valve, disconnected the bottom hose at the radiator and removed the small vent plug at the top of the rad, I get out about 2.7 litres of coolant. Not much I think!

Questions:

Is that the full amount that fits in the system ?

Is there more in the engine?

Is there a drain plug on the engine, if yes, where?

Should it be drained off when the engine is hot and the thermostat open? if yes, I'll put it back in and warm it up.

How do you drain it off?

Many thanks for taking time to read this and helping out.

ChrisL

There will indeed be a load stuck behind the thermostat. You could probably remove that if you wanted to be sure. I did that, then ran some water through it and then topped up with coolant (I was changing type of coolant and didn't want to mix).

Answers to your questions:

No - I think mine probably took about 5L ish..

Yes

No

No - I never have, never been sure how good an idea it is..

See above

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

Edited by - Rich N on 4 May 2009 08:40:53

• 4 years later...

Quoting Englishmaninwales: 
Easiest way to drain the engine is to disconect the return heater/bypass hose at the heater end and lower this below the bottom of the engine. Be ready with your bowl! This will remove 95% of the coolant in the engine.

Doing some research before fitting a set of SFS Silicon hoses to my K series in a couple of weeks. For draining the coolant does the attached refer to the upper (inlet) or lower (outlet) heater hose? Thanks.

Just looking at the list of parts posted back in 2012 (below) for the K series cooling system modification. I purchased my set of silicone hoses from SFS - is there a recommended supplier of the parts needed for the modification?

I used 1.3m of 15mm bore heater hose - including replacing the bit from the heater valve to the joiner (now the new tee) and 750mm of 8mm bore hose to replaced the original bypass hose. A 16mm brass tee and a 32mm x150mm beaded aluminium joiner - both from CBS. Fitted 5 new Mikalor hose clamps (40-43mm) from Pirtek.

Quoting c7jhc: 
Just looking at the list of parts posted back in 2012 (below) for the K series cooling system modification. I purchased my set of silicone hoses from SFS - is there a recommended supplier of the parts needed for the modification?

I used 1.3m of 15mm bore heater hose - including replacing the bit from the heater valve to the joiner (now the new tee) and 750mm of 8mm bore hose to replaced the original bypass hose. A 16mm brass tee and a 32mm x150mm beaded aluminium joiner - both from CBS. Fitted 5 new Mikalor hose clamps (40-43mm) from Pirtek.

Checked on the SFS site and a few other places and can't locate any 15mm bore Silicone heater hose. Would 16mm bore work? SM25T mentioned using 1.3m of hose -what is the longest section used as SFS only sell 1m lengths? Thanks again for any assistance. *biggrin*

Thanks for the feeback - I have sourced a 2m length of 16mm Silicone hose and ordered the other parts on the suggested list. As I'm replacing all the hoses and fluid decided to replace the thermostat with an 82 degrees version at the same time - would I be correct that they now come with the hole "preinstalled"?