Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Break Lights question

mvh

Evening! Break lights have stopped working, they played up a bit when i was getting the MOT done on saturday! But managed to get them working by fiddling with the switch. I cant seem to get them working at all now, i take it it must be the switch? Could it be anything else?

All the other lights are working fine. If so, do i have to get the new switch from CC, or is it something i can get from halfords?

many thanks

Martin

• Area Representative

Mostly likely to be the connection inside the brake switch. If you remove it from the car, you can see that two small plastic lugs hold the little flat plate in at the end. Gently prise the plate out and catch the spring as it falls out. You will easily see the brass connections inside. On TC's car, there was a small bit of dirt in there which I cleaned out with a tissue, roughed the connector faces for good measure and put it back together again. It took less to fix than it took me to type this out...

HTH

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

have stripped the switch down tiwce and cleaned with no joy yet?

Yes i noticed the 2 prongs and wondred if they were making contact? I'll have another go tomorrow.

Could it be anything else? ie: earth or something?

HeHe *biggrin*, i'm always taking pee out of myself for spelling, i'm rubbish!

Anyway, SM25T, you was bang on the money! Clutch pedal pin had touched one of the terminals and blown the fuse! Causing the terminal inside the switch to melt some of the plastic case thus not allowing the copper to make contact!

Trimmed up the plastic with a sharp knife, now they work a treat!!

Thank's Guy's, i'm of to put some miles on my freshly rebuilt VHPD!!

Cheers Martin

• 2 weeks later...