Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Q Plate Question

Tony Wright

• Area Representative

Tony,

Small points to correct are the hood sticks upside down and outside the bootcover (!) and the sill protectors being the wrong way round on the body... For a SL the tyres aren't the best option (A539's?) and it has the standard roll bar instead of an FIA one. I suppose the big question is why is it a Q plate and whilst it will not matter if its over in Germany, the history of why its on this plate might

I am sure this car has been for sale for quite some time - or it was advertised last year, sold and now available again. On the face of it though, the car does offer good value for a very late Superlight (I thought the last ones would have been registered as 52 plates or so) with the tillets, widetrack, big brakes (but wonder why its had new discs and pads), LSD and decent miles. The little bits and bobs I mention above wouldn't cost more than £500 or so to get fixed so the question still remains why it on a Q plate.

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

might not be a real superlight. Could have left the factory as a starter kit and built from some used components to superlight spec. Did Superlights of that year have the big headlights?

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 29 Apr 2009 22:17:23

I don't think it is a 'genuine' Superlight for a number of reasons (one of which is the 'Superlight' became the R300/400/500 quite a while back, certainly when I built my 2003 car there wasn't a 'Superlight' available other than the R3/4/500) but if it looks like a great spec for the money. I do wonder why it is a Q plate though. It could be a classic starter kit with a whole raft of very expensive bits on it. Looks like it has a hole for spare wheel - I expect this could have been specced for a SL though so not definitive.

Looks like a roadsport with rear wheel carrier chopped off then a few bits and bobs thrown at it to superlight spec. Thought 1.6 superlights were numbered and had a plaque on the dash, could be wrong with more modern ones. price good but a few to many things say its odd

the yellow peril

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Very nicely specced car but can't see how it possibly can be a Superlight, in fact I just know it's not.

It certainly seems to have a lot of Superlight bits and has been built to closely resemble one but as others have said there are many tell tale signs in the pics disputing this.

As for price, well if it was on a 55 plate what would it be worth............15k ish?

If the car is as nice as it looks I would not be scared of owning it after a haggle.

AS for Q stigma............well the trade off is you lose MOT stigma *thumbup*

Kenny

• Area Representative

Look at the front suspension geometry

This is a pre 96 style chassis. The tops of the dampers are on the same axis as the top wishbone pivot, and the lower wishbone fromt fixing is high (unlike post 96 chassis).

However, it does have a centre handbrake.

The dash is also not a new dash either.

it's all a bit odd.

Thanks for all the help *thumbup* Looing at cars for a friend at the moment but he is still undecided over brand new or 2nd hand. Anyone have a lead time on getting a new factory built car such as a Roadsport, CDX etc?

Also seen another car but because we are located in Germany and he is a teacher nipping back is sort of out of the question but this one again looks good value here anyone know of it or have any thoughts?

Edited by - Tony Wright on 30 Apr 2009 10:03:27

As far as I know all Superlights had a Carbon dash (this doesnt appear to have) and as you say no spare wheel carrier - Should have a dash plaque on the left hand side with the Number on - I think the original Superlight numbers went up to around the 200 mark ??

I have the original Aero on my car - hence no hood - hence hoodsticks not required - thus the boot cover sits lower than on cars with a hood (fastners lowered).

Just wondering if the car had an aero at one time and a lower boot cover so now the hood sticks wont fit under the cover.

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 1 May 2009 14:25:26

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 1 May 2009 14:26:34