Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cast iron & limestone fireplace ....

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

There's a tale behind this ........ 2 years (or so!) ago we decided to build a false chimney breast in our dining room, purely as a feature to fit a lovely cast iron inset fireplace brought from our old house. Stud wall constructed, plastered, coving etc., very nice job and very proud of my handiwork *smile* But ...... I didn't get round to bonding the limestone surround in situ, it's just been "assembled" with a couple of years of a precautionary "don't touch" statement to the kids!

We've now decided to re-jig the room to fit a big TV, and in doing so I've had to remove the fireplace and chimney breast *mad* Such is life!

Anyway, we have an effectively brand new limestone surround and polished granite hearth, and the cast inset/gas fire that was previously used periodically for approaching 10 years. From memory the cast iron inset/fire was around £800 when new, and the limestone surround/granite hearth recently cost us £550 which I know was a very favourable price. I'll happily part with the whole lot for £550 just to recoup the outlay we made on the surround ☹️

The gas fire included (that fits correctly with the inset) would need professionally checking out before use - we only re-aquired the fireplace 6 months after the new owners moved into the house and went all "modern"!

Pictures here, and before anyone asks, the pine cones are NOT included *thumbup* 😬

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Mantel is 56" wide x 8" deep.

Upright columns are 43½" high.

Hearth is 54" wide x 15" deep (ends) but it is however a "T" shape to insert into the fireplace opening to continue under the front of the fire - at the "T" it is 18" deep. The width of the "T" bit is 30". This is one piece - some cheap hearths have an extention piece added but that leaves an untidy join exposed.

The cast back itself is 38" x 38" (fits slightly behind the columns and top section), and will likely fit a fireplace opening of approx 24" wide x 28" high, although the "T" on the hearth will need a 30" wide access.

BTW the fire is designed for a Class 1 flue.

Does all this make sense?

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

• 5 weeks later...