Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting a new camshaft (k-series)

kart

Not having done any engine-based spannering before I was wondering how hard a change of camshaft would be. I'd be looking at just fitting a standard Supersport conversion to my EU3 1.6 K (I appreciate that DVA and verniers are the recommended route but I'm thinking that might be a bit over-ambitious for me as a first job).

Is there an idiots guide to the process anywhere? - a search of the archives didn't bring much up.

Thanks in advance *smile*

Many thanks all - it's not sounding out of the realms of the possible for a numpty thus far.

Englishmaninwales - it'll be waiting till after mid-May though as I have an entry in for Curborough and sticking to the black-stuff will be the biggest determinant in improving my times I reckon *wink*

I managed this OK a couple of years ago, and I'm far from an expert.

I would still strongly advise fitting verniers while you are at it though, as you'll

have it all apart anyway. If you don't want to get into the whole dial guage/

timing game (which is fairly intuitive IMHO) you can just fit them as per the

original sproket and get someone else to fine adjust them later.

AB

• 2 years later...

So it took me a while to get round to it but I've finally fitted a K01 kit from DVA (BP270 cams and verniers).

Whilst conditions aren't exactly ideal for testing performance improvements at the moment, the first subjective impressions are all good: idle slightly more purposeful but no real loss in tractability low-down, generally stronger mid-range and a more sustained pull up to the limiter.

Many thanks all - especially little-Dave for all the advice and the loan of a cornucopia of tools 😶‍🌫️

😬

Alec

Edited by - kart on 8 Jan 2012 21:08:03