Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road seatbelts on LA chassis

JACK FLASH

I am considering ditching the fixed harness seatbelts and using automatic road seatbelts for daily use and swap if necessary for a decent FIA harness when (occasionally) on the track.

Where do you have to put the large "rolling thing" when you put automatic 3-point seatbelts on a LA chassis ? I' ve seen pictures of cars with this thing at the rolloverbar mounting point but this does look a bit akward.

Suggestions concerning type and supplier of automatic seatbelts are also welcome.

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

Jack. You could always fit the fixed lap strap and diagonal which does not require the "rolling thing". These were standard on the Classic LA cars up to the introduction of the K series.Darren at CC could probably advise.

Chassis wasn't designed to inertia reel belts, so no secret hidding place,

I suppoose you may be able to put it in the boot.

Also if you have sliding seats, not sure if there is enough room to attach belts behind seats?

Jonathan

I already had the idea that there would be no normal attachment point in the chassis. I have a pair of fixed seatbelts but these are not comfortable eneough for daily use.

Would I risk fitting the "rolling thing" to the rear attachment points of the rollover bar and guide the seatbelts over the forward attachment point. I was thinking of using reeling seatbelts from the backseat of a tin top. Does my explanation make any sense ?

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Jack,

Sorry I missed this mail earlier and it just popped up while I was searching for something else.

The proper name for the "rolling thing" is a Retractor. On the later De-Dion chassis it is mounted in a little pocket behind the rear bulkhead.

For the older live axle chassis the mounting point is the same hole as the roll bar mounts into.

The retractor is mounted on this point and sits up ontop of the mounting point. And you are correct it looks a bit awkward.

I recently managed to get a pair of belts and buckles to fit my LA as I did not want to have any arguments with French MOT. They are a little bit like rocking horse pooh to get hold of.

You do have to be careful with finding any old belt that looks like it will fit as the installation angles etc for the vehicle crash sensor can vary from installation to installation. After all the Inertia Reel Belt is a lot more convenient than a harness but you do want it to work if you have a shunt.

Chris

1700ss BRG/Yellow Stripe the only way to cruise

Edited by - Abbot on 29 May 2009 16:08:25

Edited as I rechecked and realised I gave bum info

Edited by - Abbot on 30 May 2009 21:34:13

Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

After studying the problem, I am now considering if it can be done to fix the retractor to the rear rollover bar mounting point and use reeling seatbelts from the rear seat of a tin top. The second mounting point of the seatbelts would attach to the forward rollover bar bolt.

Does anyone know if this mounting point is good enough to attach a seatbelt ?

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

The ones in the picture have a pillar loop which is designed to mount on the B pillar of the car. Where as I think you want one that does not have that as the belt comes straight out of the retractor and goes over your shoulder. The other minor point is to be crefull of the length of the metal strap on the buckle as if it is too short it is a bast##d to fit down the side of the seat.

Chris

1700ss BRG/Yellow Stripe the only way to cruise

Guys,

Thanks for the example Steve. I was thinking of such a type and mount the retractor on the backwards mounting point of the rollover bar, so in the boot, and mount the pillar loop at the mounting point at the seat.

The main question is now, is the backward mounting point of the rollover bar good enough to attach a seatbelt ?

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com