Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Bicycle Wheel rim tape

CageyH

Which tape do you fellow cyclists use?

I am being plagued by punctures from inside the wheel (in different spots) and there is no debris.

The original tape was plastic, and a hole developed in it.

I tried a velox tape, but it was not sticky and moved.

Any other suggestions?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I have had similar problems and discovered hawthorn/blackthorn thorns going through the tyre *eek*. I've been recommended a tube of gunk which you put into the inner tube via the valve and is slops around inside the tube, sealing holes pretty much as they happen. It does add a little extra weight but I'm told it will save me a lot of messing about mending punctures.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Nope. None of them are protruding through. No rough bits on the inside. Nothing sticking through the tyres.

I think I have fixed it with my "non-sticky" sticky velox tape with a covering of insulation tape to stop in moving..

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

It helps to replace the tape regularly (once you start getting problems, you will probably continue getting them). There will often be flaws in the tape after a while, which are difficult to see. I have used all the different types of rim tape. They are probably roughly the same. As you have found out, insulation tape over the top helps it to stop sliding around and exposing spoke holes. Stans etc is only for tubeless and really only for MTB at moment, and whilst fantastic, is hard work to set up (I use it for racing but not for training).

I think I've only once had a flat due to rim-tape - and this was on a tube that had sat in the tyre for so long you could see the dimples all around the tube.

ISTR that happened on some OEM rims from my first road bike.

That incident aside, I've not had any problems - or even given tape a real thought to rim-tape - I've built all of my wheels with Mavic Open Pros and not had any problems.

I can also heartily-recommend Conti GP 4-Seasons (or GP4000(s) if you are less worried about punctures). I've only punctured twice in 7ish years and - ooh 30k+ of riding? Once was on a worn-tire when I hit some really, really vicious glass. The other time could have happened to anyone and wasn't something the tyre could help with - basically fell into an unseen sharp-edged pothole at around 20mph at night. Good-night tube - snake-bite.

GP4-seasons are 235g (according to my decent scales tonight) for 700x23c - that's light for the protection and performance.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

When downhilling, I am proud to say that despite the number of rock gardens, drops, jumps, crashes, woods, trees and north shore, I didn't once get a puncture 😬

Wanna know the secret?

Very expensive DH inner tubes, with Michelin DH24 2.4" on the front and a IRC Kujo 3.0" on the rear - bullet proof. The tubes were thicker than the tyres... 😬 😬 😬

Edited to add, I built my wheels, and used electrical tape - 4 layers of it.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 24 Apr 2009 11:15:00

All joking aside I am suprised Cagey that if you have forked out on a carbon frame etc that you don't go the tubular route being a bit of a 7/engineering geek. If I ever did some serious cycling again there would be no question about what wheels/tyres to run.

There are certain moments that you have with machinery that you never forget for instance :-

The very first time I drove a 7 (at Caterham) and marvelling at the way the car steered.

The very first time that I rode a bike with silk tubs with latex tubes on (they were Clements) and the way the bike turned and interacted with the road. That week I went out and blew a load of money on wheels/tubs to "upgrade". I know normal bike tyres have come a long long way but surely by design they in the end can not compete with a tubular tyre on ultimate cornering/feel/ride *confused*

Dicks

Be sure that your tyre itself (especially if it has kevlar reinforcement) has no protruberances. Once punctured they have a nasty habit of leaving a lovely little invisible piece of kevlar sticking out ready for just a few miles after you've replaced the inner tube. You'll only find out by running your finger (gently) round the inside of the tube itself - take care

*arrowup* And that kevlar to stop punctures adds weight and destroys the performance of the tyre 😔

Just like 7's, tyres on a true lightweight bike are crucial, a back wheel tub when racing will last one crit, two short road races or one long road race and about thirty time trials *tongue* *wink*.

It's expensive but........

BTW many years ago I was part of a baulk buy of used tubs from the tour, they had been ridden on for one stage and then pulled off the wheel, they made for very cheap training tyres, being in France could Cagey find a source for these 🤔 *thumbup*

Dicks

I recall seeing a programme on tyres where some old guy kept special tyres downstairs in the dark until they had reached a proper age and then, and only then, they were (some of them) ready for use on The Tour. Couldn't figure out if it was phooey or if there was really something in it

Punctures, what are they 🤔

I run UST system, which as previously posted are a pain in the 🙆🏻 to fix. Easily solved *thumbup* run UST tubeless with some 'Stans No Tubes' sealant and hey presto 18 months with no punctures *thumbup*. Plenty have thorns have penetrated the tyre as you can see where they have self sealed.

Watch the video here

Tony

Cagey, I think some 3" tyres might foul the stays... Back to the drawing board.

120psi?! I ran 18... Such massive worlds apart. Could never ride on the road, tarmac doesn't budge as much as trees. Which, admittedly, don't budge much either...

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )