Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A different loud clunk

Graham Sewell

Despite my best efforts, I cannot find the cause of a clunk from the rear nearside suspension (live axle). The symptoms are:

When turning hard right (typically 2nd gear) and either accelerating hard or on an adverse camber there is a single clunk from the nearside rear of the car that can be felt through the suspension.

I have done a spanner check, looked at the bushes, remounted the exhause (rear exit) and all looks OK. There is not any play at the wheel hub. It only happens under fairly extreme circumstances (i.e. when the steering wheel starts to feel quite heavy).

Any ideas anyone????

Cheers,

Graham

Graham,

Just a few ramblings:

- I assume the suspension top bolt on the shocker isn't loose?

- Does the body of the shocker touch the wheelarch inner panel on the car? - Mine with the latest bilsteins is very close

- The obvious clunk is the half shaft but you have checked this one out

Brian

Getting back to the original thread, yes the spring is hitting the inside wing. It only just misses while the car is stationary with the weight on the axle. I was thinking of turning the damper through 180' so that the spring coil would drop by a half turn's worth. Is there anything that I should look out for as a gotcha???

As additional info, the car is a live axle with adjustable height dampers - so I don't want to touch the spring seats cos it'll mess up the corner weights.

I was contemplating just dropping the axle down (but supported) and undoing top and bottom mounts on the damper, turning it round and doing everything back up.

Cheers,

Graham