Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie! Which model to go for?

Ian Webster

Hi all!

Looking to make a purchase in the next 12 months either new or second hand. Resale values seem to be consistently high so am tempted to buy brand new and experience the build! I've read a lot of posts here and done some scouring of the net and I am leaning toward a 1.6 K series roadsport rather than the classic because of the windscreen, hood and more upgradeable engine? Any views would be appreciated, especialy anyone in the same position.

Thanks

Ian

There is no right answer. There aren't any lemons, they're all good. You first have to know what you want the car for. How much track work vs. road mileage? How fast do you want it to be? How much money do you want to spend? What other criteria do you have? You'll need to tell us more if you want some reasonable opinions.

Personally, I would definitely buy a K car and not a vauxhall 1600. I can't see much point to the vauxhall unless it's a LOT cheaper.

Anthony

Bit more info which may promote discussion!

I am not really too bothered about using the car on the track, I am really just looking for a quick 2nd car to tinker with and to use at weekends and evenings in the summer. I anticipate spending around 16-17k.

I was originally looking to get an Elise, but changed my mind after hearing a few horror stories about build quality and I think the styling of the S1 is starting to show its age as well. I had a drive in a Westfield last year and was hooked but definitely decided I wanted the real thing!!!!

I have seen quite a few Caterhams for sale on this website and others all in the region of 10-15k, but the extra few quid I think buying new is preferred.

If I was to go for the 1.6 K series, how easy would it be to up the power at a later date? New cams/ECU mapping?

Ian

If you are buying new or building your own, then you only have the choice of Rover/MG engines (Aka K series now X-series) as supplies of kent/vauxhall engines have dried up. So the main choice becomes how larger do you want to start (1.4 Classic or R500?). MOstly this depends on how much money you have got to throw at it. However, there is now plenty of knowledge available (oilyhands) to push the limits of a humble 1.6K to the realms of ludicrously high power output - at which point longevity/service intervals may become an issue due to the stresses on the engines.

There is a train of thought that goes with, buy the biggest (most powerful) engine you can afford as all other things can be replaced later! Once you get to the R300+ machines, the engine is getting to be the most expensive part of the car!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

i'm going to say this once... Buy an SLR! Get a loan, remorgage, rent out the wife, anything! Just buy an SLR!!!! I went out in julians yesterday and i haven't stopped smiling, even during a row with the girlfriend cos amount of time spent on the car! My only dilemma now is how can i get enough dollar to get one!

Pop along to the local meet. You can then chat to owners and blag a few rides to help you make a decison. There are loads of us around Bournemouth - Poole - Salisbury area, with a wide range of cars.

The West Hants chapter meet the first Tues of every month at the Green Dragon pub in Brook (near Cadnam)