Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cages & hoods

taffyracer

Anybody have any pics of the curved roadsport....i thought only the SL cage was curved.....I always considered half hoods to be a sort of quick measure than a solution but reading some threads it appears some prefer it.....why, if there's a benefit then it's an option?

• Support Team

I am not 100% sure on this but my understanding is that the superlight cage cannot be used with a windscreen so that rules that one out.

If you decide to fit a roadsport cage keeping the windscreen then the standard hood will fit.

Many people (myself included) prefer the Soft Bits for Sevens half hood for the following reasons:

1. Its much quicker/easier to fit

2. It takes up very little space in the car

3. It is far less claustrophobic

4. The windscreen/sidescreens don't steam up

The down side is that it can be a bit draughty at speed and you will get spray coming in the back so you still need to wear a waterproof top.

I haven't used the Caterham hood once since I have had a half hood.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I had a soft bits half hood, And yes they are great. On cooler days, and a little bits of rain, But 'proper' wet roads they are a disaster afaic. Only tried it once, I had a cockpit FULL of mist as the spray tumbled in from the back. It got soo bad after about 30 mins, I could not see the dials as they were covered in water and unfortunatly, whilst the wipers were doing the best they could on the outside, they don't work on the inside of the car. The visibility was non existant, I had to keep wiping the screen with a towel. 😔

So for me. A half hood was definatly NOT a wet weather cover.

No longer RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile* here

🤔 Dave 🤔

Like the man said . .. a screen fits with an SLR cage *wink*

The stock hood won't though. . . . and for that matter, neither will the doors - well you could probably get them on (with a bit of door fettling) but you'd not be able to open them more than a couple of inches.

Mate considered getting a custom hood made up for an SLR caged car that would locate onto the stock popper bases and have zips to open the 'doors' . . . We designed it and it could have worked. Though in the end, after finding out how much it would cost to get made up; he didn't bother.

• 1 month later...

What about the mounting points of the curved roadsport cage v the superlight cage, are they the same, i know the superlight has more mounting points forward of the screen, but are the others the same? Can a roadsport cages car be converted to Superlight without leaving holes is what I am trying to get at I suppose?

the key question Taffy is what mounting bosses do you have on the forward scuttle / chassis tube ?

if you have the bosses under the chassis rail below the scuttle then you can have any cage.

time to remove some of the rivets on the side panels ?

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al