Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Idling nightmare of 1.8 K series

Mr Tickle

Is there anybody out there that can offer advice on this - or has experienced the same..?? My engine takes a good 5 minutes before it idles freely on it's own without the need for steady accellerator. Most annoying of all is that, when the engine is turned off and then on again when hot, it revs straight to 4000rpm and won't come back down again !

I'm sure it's sensor related - ALL advice greatfully received.

( standard 1.8 unit ).

Check that the throttle cable goes completely slack. There is a pedal stop in the pedal box and if the cable has been adjusted without altering the stop, the throttle may never close completely.

Check that the air filter is not too tight. The plastic throttle body can distort letting air past the throttle butterfly at idle.

Check the connections on the vacuum hose that runs from the throttle body to the ECU via a fuel trap. All of these need to be air tight. Check that the hose is not constricted at any point.

Lastly, reset the ECU. This is done by turning the ignition key to the ignition position (not starting) and pressing the accelerator to the floor slowly FIVE times. There is something about leaving it for 45 seconds - can't quite remember. I leave ignition on for 45 seconds, while doing the five *slow* accelerator pumps. I then switch off the ignition and leave it like that for 45 seconds. It then starts and works out exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

I also seem to have a problem that might be related: 1.8 Supersport, 2000 miles.

I need to warm the engine for several minutes, otherwise it just stalls when the throttle is depressed. This is the case even in very hot weather.

Also, after a 'hot run' the engine tends to stall at, say roundabouts.

Will an ECU reset clear the issue?? I originally thought the problem was that the engine was a bit on the tight side, but it should be freeing up a bit by now!

Any help gratefully received1

Tony Stattersfield

I also seem to have a problem that might be related: 1.8 Supersport, 2000 miles.

I need to warm the engine for several minutes, otherwise it just stalls when the throttle is depressed. This is the case even in very hot weather.

Will an ECU reset clear the issue?? I originally thought the problem was that the engine was a bit on the tight side, but it should be freeing up a bit by now!

Tony Stattersfield

Tony Stattersfield

Tony Stattersfield

It's not just 1800's & 1600's that have suffered this problem. My 1400 SS will have an idle of approx.1400 rpm for a few seconds before it settles to 'normal' after blipping the throttle. It is not always present so its b£%*^y hard to trace a fault!!!

I just put it down to the Caterham ownership 'thing' ie. something else to tease. I have this motto that when there are little things wrong with the car that's ok, but when I've sorted them all that's when the 'big' problem (whatever it may be) will occur!!!!!!!!!

It is probably the idle air control valve that is not working. At least the 4000rpm episode sounds very like that.

I had so much hassle with mine (even after resetting the ECU datum by working the throttle 5 times) that I have simply unplugged it after getting the correct idle conditions with a warm engine. The spool then stays in one place. This does mean that you have to open the throttle when starting in cold weather but I have none of the warm stall or racing engine thereafter.