Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

MBE + wideband

millsn

I have a MBE 967E ECU. It can receive a lamda signal but I'm not sure how to connect the lambda sensor to it. It has a signal and a ground but I don't know whether to send it wide narrow band signal from by box. Can anyone advise what it will accept?

2.0 zetec on TBs, head, new exhaust, MBE the list goes on

You need to program it to accept the input. Depending on the software in your ECU the self learning feature will either crap or utter crap.

Lambda signal to be connected to pin 29, the earth wire to pin 24, be careful of earth loops.

/r

er, thanks. That seems to clear up some of the question. What are earth loops? My lambda sensor has wlin and NBdim outputs one being narrow band, how do I tell the MBE what it is looking at? Whilst I have all the right software it is really short on instructions esp for the inexperienced!

I was hoping to use the data logging feature to update the map after a drive. The car has been mapped once but recent changes have altered the fuelling required and I want to be safe before my next drive down for a remap.

Edited by - millsn on 18 Apr 2009 20:51:55

You need to be absolutely sure that your earth is proper, and that absolutely no current is drawn through the analogue ground wire (pin 24) ECU main earth and lambda controller earth must be taken off exactly the same point.

I have never had success in using the self mapping feature. I have always had a lot of misreading, where what I saw directly from the lambda controller was quite different from what I saw through the MBE software.

If I were you I'd connect a gauge (could just be a voltmeter) to the output of the lambda controller and monitor it through the range. Next time I am to map my own engine on the road I will make a throttle stop which is located at the TBs. This I will adjust so that max opening is exactly at each load site according to the TPS map, and then for each load site run the engine through the revs. This is of course easier if you have a logging feature in the lambda controller, but especially if you have a helper it can be done without.

Mind you that you also need to LISTEN to your engine to make sure it does not knock. You can either use a set of ear defenders with a hose like a mechanical stethoscope or like what I have done: Fit a knock sensor (this works as a microphone) to the engine block, just under the mating face between head and block - the K-series has a casting that can be drilled for an M8 on the inlet side of the engine. I have then built in an amplifier into a ear defending headset a la Peltor.

/r