Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What are the ultimate tyres?

paul jacobs

There are stacks of recommendations on here for this tyre or that tyre, 888's, Stunners, 048's, 021's CR500's, plus others, but is there a clearly identifiable tyre for all round roaduse that is better in all conditions than anything else, price and wear notwithstanding?

Paul J.

My CSR now back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU - Hooray no more kangarooing and 268.6 bhp / 204lb-ft :-))

My 2ps worth ... CR500's, I have experience of 021, R888 and CR500. The 021 is the better wet tyre, the R888 better in the dry, with the CR500 close to both in wet and dry conditions. Even though the CR500 is slightly more expensive than others it does tend to wear better if you have a spirited driving style, i.e. you get more miles per tyre for you money.

I guess there is a reason why Caterham use the CR500 as standard .......

airborne tweaked supersport

He said he wants grip *tongue*

CR500's for me. I save mine for road use only.

Yes, they are more expensive, but they wear better.

Ideal for touring as well, as they grip well in the dry, and deal well with wet weather.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• Support Team

IMO, for all round road use CR500s have it over anything else I have tried. The thing that makes them stand out is how much lighter thay are than any of the competitors which translates to a much better ride. They have a great compromise between dry and wet grip and they don't tramline.

FYI I have also tried A021R, AO48R, R888 and Kumho V70A.

Now for track use... *tongue*

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Trackday work, hmm, its got to be second hand slicks, .... if you have 3 sets of wheels then slicks, wets and your road tyre is probably all you need....

fwiw I have found the R888 a good compromise for road & track work, they don't react too well to deep standing water, but given the 7's light weight nature I am not convinced any other road tyre will perform much better in this respect.

airborne tweaked supersport

Edited by - wavydavy on 16 Apr 2009 20:23:36

Just in need of a helpful bit of advise, thought I'd tag the question onto the bottom of this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm looking to buy a new set of 4 Toyo 888s. Currently I'm running Yoko 48s with Medium at the rear and soft on the front.

I'm wondering if it's worth ordering medium all round over the soft/ medium setup. Would there be much difference ride/ handling wise?