Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Someone must have had one of these in bits

John E

That is the ignition/steering lock. Mine seems to have given up the ghost in that when turned to the start position the connection is lost. I seem to recall that when starting there is a spring resistance and that beyond that is where the live is sent to the solenoid. I've extracted the electrical switch from the lock assembly, its held in by a grub screw, and I would like to kow if this is available as a separate item rather than buy the whole lock unit.

I removed my key ignition switch in favour of an aero switch when I built the car. I therfore have an unused ignition switch/steering lock barrell with a couple of keys, never used. I think it has the sheer off bolts but it came off perfect so it could be fitted and made to be hard to remove if you want.

I could let you have it and solve all your problems. I don't know the value though, I reckon it must be at least £50 brand new so say £20.

Let me know if you are interested.

John E.

Poxy little screw holds that assy in place eh? Yeah, had mine in pieces by easing the two little lugs out of the way. Careful as the housing is only monkey metal and not that robust.There are springs inside, but it isn't rocket science. I cleaned up the contacts and also soldered the male connectors to the rivets on the back of the casing. All worked fine.

I use the key as the igntion 'on' with a push starter button wired in instead of the key start.

You could of course just buy Roberts new barrel assy & fit that. I'd still solder the male connectors onto the rivet heads as a safety precaution anyway!!!