Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil surge?

KenEvans

At Oulton Park yesterday I noticed sound effects from my 1.6K on the fast bends (RH bends I think) almost certainly announcing temporay lack of lubrication though there was no noticeable drop in oil pressure on the gauge. Is it possible that marginal lubrication for 2/3 seconds wouldn't show up on the gauge yet cause the engine to kick up a fuss? (I lifted off fast by the way)

I've heard about sump baffles for the K and de-aeration tanks and know what dry sumping is all about but are the previous two a satisfactory solution for sprinting (no rattles heard to date) and the occasional track day please?

Ken

Just mowing the lawn thinking about this post, I think I'm referring to foam baffles of some sort and of course the oil air separator - are they OK? Any thoughts why I didn't see a pressure drop on the gauge despite the sound effects would also be welcome.

The oil pressure gauge is pretty slow so you may not see a drop.

I think that Caterham installs the foam in all wet sump K:s. It can however "melt" and fill up the oil channels apparently. this just happened to a friend of mine... Putting foam inside an engine is against Gods intentions...

The Apollo tank works pretty fine, at least with a pretty standard engine, despite a kot of people sharing their very different opinions on that matter.

To feel really secure you will need a dry sump.

Cheers

Peter Simons

----

Modern man embraces the machine. The machine exists to make him happy. I shall provide man with the machines that make him happy.

- Par Bonk 1893

Thank you Peter - but is there an alternative to paying Caterham £1700 for a dry sump system - eg paying somebody else less money for approximately the same thing?

I'll also search some threads on here about the Apollo tank I think.

I've just read this in an earlier thread

"The Apollo tank is standard fitment for most of the Caterham racing series from Supergraduates upwards"

That's good enough for me on my list 1A tyres (though 180BHP) unless somebody seriously advises me otherwise.

The Apollo will get you quite far.

Pace is doing a drysump system that will sell below 1000 UKP.

Check the following link for a bit more info:

http://www.blatchat.com/topic.asp?topic_id=16855&forum_id=8&forum_title=TechTalk&M=False&S=True&Topic_Title=K+bottom+end+what+ever+happened+to+Pace%3F&P=False

Cheers

Peter Simons

----

Modern man embraces the machine. The machine exists to make him happy. I shall provide man with the machines that make him happy.

- Par Bonk 1893