Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cycle wings and 215 fronts

Sandboy

Advice needed, gone for 215 fronts (13") and dithering over solution to poor fitting cycle wings. Looking for wider wings, preferably not carbon or csr style, can anyone suggest source of reasonable 220 grp wings? Also has anyone modified the stays to get a better fit, if so how? Much appreciated.

*eek* You're going to suffer from tramlining with 215s on the front. I was under the impression that they usually go on the rears with 185s on the front (but I could be wrong).

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

• Support Team

RiF wide carbon wings do the job perfectly but probably not what you had in mind price-wise. They fit on the normal wingstays - I've got the "race" stays which fit closer to the tyre. Fluke sell the MOG stuff and the do a wide wing which you can order in GRP.

215s (Kumhos in my case) do tramline a bit. Worst is on the inside lane of motorways where the trucks have carved out ruts slightly too wide for the car. On other roads its not bad and certainly not as bad IMO as 185 Yokohama A048Rs.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 7 Apr 2009 14:25:11

Hi Shaun_E, RIF's carbon wings would be great but i'd probably stuff them into a tyre wall before too long so i'll stick to GRP until i can drive it properly! Checked out the Fluke site and looks just the ticket. The race stays are an improvement on the standard but I was wondering about cutting them down a bit further but i'll see how wings from Fluke look before attempting this.

If anyone has performed surgery on the wing stays I'd be interested to know how gone about it, I did wood work rather than metal work at school-maybe should get a Morgan!?

I have used the CSR wing stays sold by 7 Tweeks and Rif carbon wings which get the wing very close to the tyre *eek*

With this combo you couldn't use Toyo/Yoko 205s as front tyres, with the 60 profile they are too tall. The 215 Kumho just fits underneath but you would need to be careful with wheel offsets.

Martin

Surrey AR/AO