Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 fuel guage calibration

Dunsfold Dave

I have a new factory built R500, which I collected just before Christmas, it has been back twice for CC to calibrate the fuel guage, but it is still reading incorrectly. I was told it was an ECU upgrade issue, which they said had been sorted but obviously not.

My old R400 stack dash read quite accurately at 36ltrs when full this one only reads 29ltrs and the fuel low warning light comes on at 9ltres.

Has anyone else had the same problem, is it still ongoing or did you manage to rectify it? If it is simply a case of adding 5/6ltrs to the read out figure I could live with that, but I'm just not sure if the calibration changes as the fuel level decreases.

It is frustrating as the car cost so much and I dont want to keep having to give it back, they have just had it for the last month sorting out a gearbox oil leak, armourfend issues and fuel guage.

Any ideas anyone?

DD

DD,

Can't really help I'm afraid. I think I saw your car at CC South on the day you picked it up - looked very nice indeed.

Mine does much the same as yours by the sounds of things. Warning light comes on as soon as it hits 9 litres. When full I don't think I've seen more than 31 or 32 if that. It's supposed to go to 36 then is it?

I thought the fuel level was just a Stack calibration issue. Seem to remember reading somewhere that you fill up with measured amounts of fuel and set the Stack accordingly.

Regards

Duncan

Dave,

You could do this yourself by getting the instructions (i'm nowhere near mine, but someone will scan/send them for you)...simply drain the tank and then refill 2 litres at a time (From memory I think you get 15 calibration points to use) and simply record at each point referring to what you've put in (you'll see from the instructions it's dead easy)...this way you'll be able to choose your own reserve level etc..which is always a nice thing to know if your running low...

I think I set my reserve warning at 4 litres above the minimum. I think it needed 2 litres in the bottom of the tank before the pump really picked up enough fuel to create any sort of fuel pressure. So my reserve really started at 6 litres.

Did you not get a stack manual with the car?

I had a Stack supplied new with my CDX recently. I don't know if it is the same model as the R500 but with mine most of the user adjustable functions have been locked down and the instrument appears to have been re-flashed by Caterham to cover calibration. This had exactly the same impact on fuel level readings as you are getting. I needed six litres to get the gauge to read but from there on it does seem to read OK. In other words just add six litres to what ever it says. Admittedly it is a bit disconcerting driving around with the gauge reading zero but I don't think you can do much about it unless the whole instrument is reflashed. (don't even know if that's possible).

As I recall Dave's R500 is a very nice looking shade of green.

DD - if you get any joy with this then please let us know. It didn't bother me much before but now I know I've probably still got 16 litres in the tank when the light comes on it is going to irritate the hell out of me.

Duncan

Dave,

My new R500 has exactly the same issue as yours with the fuel gauge.

I asked Caterham if I could change the low fuel reading, but was told its pre set by stack in the flash memory and can not be changed.

Personally the fact that it comes on at 9 litres is way to early and kind of a pain.

Also mine has never read more than 32 litres when I have filled it up.

On the empty side, when mine got to zero litres when I first collected it from Caterham Factory, I still manged to do 15 miles as there was no gas station nearby, so its not that true a reading at the stops it seems!!

Good Luck,

Nige.

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Sorry Guys hav'nt been able to keep up with Blatchat the last few days, but thanks to all of you for your help.

I think I shall just have to de the arithmatic.

Yeh it is the same Green as my last one but this time with black stripes. It appears so much more hardcore and faster than my old R400.

Nigel, have you found the tunnel gets extreemly hot? Now the weather has warmed up its like resting your leg against a radiator, really uncomfortable.