Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure guage shows Zip

Paul Bowden

I have just started my Super light for the first time. Started like a dream. Like being as father again. What is rather worrying is that the presure guage show nothing...and I mean nothing. The car has the EV3 engine an oil Air seperator. It also has no screen, so no washers wiper etc. the reason I mention this is that there is a lot of redundant wiring under the dash. Also the ECU and multi function box(or what ever it is called) was not installed prior to build. I have had to put this in so another potential source of error/problem.

I don't even want to think that there realy is no presure....but what do you think. I am not running the engine until I take it to Dartford ( by trailor) on Monday, which was already scheduled. I would like to at least warm it up, if I could. Any ideas would be welcome

Paul, I didnt build my car myself ... so only have this info secondhand so to speak.

1- On a new engine you should crank (but not start) the engine for anything up to 1-2 mins to ensure that the oil gets a chance to circulate and the presure builds up.

2- On my car, a 1800SS SL with stack display, the oil presure sensor is located just forward of the sump pan. It has two wires connected to the sensor; one goes to earth/chassis somewhere and the other feeds into the stack unit. Assuming you have a "Standard" sensor/gauge ... these are earthed through their case and have a single wire back to the gauge. Check the sensor is earthed and maybe the other common earthing points too(search the forum for more info). You could also check that you can measure a voltage on the oil presure terminal. If no voltage is seen at the sensor, check that you have a connection from the sensor to the gauge ( less than a 1-2 ohms).

Adam

Edited by - adam on 6 Jul 2002 09:23:12

Could anyone give me the colour of the wires going to the oil pressure sensor . I have one terminal on what I assume is the pressure sensor. and two wires leading to it.They are red/yellow and pink/black. Which do I connect and what happens to the other. I have a conventional dash i.e. not Stack